Just having a wee squizz online and there are some very good deals for a 4 day trip over Xmas or just after New year. Its still very early but I wondered what people thought about the merits of each resort. I've heard good things about Rusutsu but also that there is nothing really there after the lifts go off....although I'd only be there for 3 nights so its not really a major issue. Also that the tree skiing is meant to be awesome. Furano on the other hand has a proper town with all the expected amenities but there are strict with their no off-piste policy.....I def wanna be getting some powder turns if they are there to be had!!

any thoughts one way or 'tother?

I cant comment on furano but rusutsu is a real gem in my eyes. Extremely liberal off piste policy (ie.no policy lol). Lots of awesome terrain to discover, zero crowds and yeah zero nightlife except what you make which can be a good thing. I have had wild nights in the obrist bar believe it or not! Plus if you NEED nightlife you didnt ride hard enough.

Not sure if they are so strict about off-piste in Furano anymore but if you're wanting easily accessible off-piste tree runs with a good chance of powder for a few days I'd go to Rusutsu. It's also closer to Chitose. You'll meet others whilst there and if nothing else grab some brews from the Seicomart and drink at the lodge.

The Mrs is coming with me so wild nightlife is assured :evilgrin: (a can of beer and a hug before I pass out knackered)

A mate of mines went to Furano last New Year and he said they got chased by patrol when venturing past the groomed runs. Looks like it may well be Rusutsu. Nothing definite at the mo though...just wanting peoples input

Furano Tip #1: at xmas Shin Furano Prince is better bet as the Kitanomine side may not be open and it's a pain then getting to the Furano side from the old Prince (which would be a better deal, say after mid-Jan).

Furano Tip #2: The izakaya at the Naturvert Hotel is a pretty good dinner option.

Rusutsu Tip #1: Suites at the Tower are nice, but food's better at the main hotel.

Rusutsu Tip #2: It's easier to get to the East/Isola skiing from the main hotel via gondola than from the Tower via ``hi-speed'' double chair, which on uncrowded days can be an excruciatingly slow and cold ride.

The only reason I am going to Rusutsu is for the singing tree and bears oh and the magic roundabout.

It has nothing to do with the snow, trees, crowds or travel time from the airport.

Seemore :)

I have never been to Furano, so I am generally curious to know what it is like.

However, I have formed a very strong relationship with Rusutsu, and go there every year, so I would appreciate it if you did not. The nightlife is pretty non-existant, but they have some nice restaurants. I think that if you snowboard from 9 in the morning to 9 at night, the nightlife is really not that important.

I've had many good days at Rusutsu and shared stories with people who have also had great snow there as well. The main thing you need to compare Furano to Rusutsu is the temperature. Rusutsu will often be warmer and thus the February/March/April carries more risk of bad snow compared to Furano.

I've had many good days at Rusutsu and shared stories with people who have also had great snow there as well. The main thing you need to compare Furano to Rusutsu is the temperature. Rusutsu will often be warmer and thus the February/March/April carries more risk of bad snow compared to Furano.

Mitch I think he was thinking of going in December

Do you think the distance would warrant a significant temperature difference?

seemore

Mitch I think he was thinking of going in December

Do you think the distance would warrant a significant temperature difference?

seemore

Ah missed that. Yes Furano will still be colder it's more inland and tends to get colder temps. There's a reason places in central Hokkaido shut down in January. It's too damn cold!

Just booked Rusutsu for 26th of Dec to 29th. Staying at the resort hotel. Flight + hotel+ breakfast+ transfers= 62k per person..,..pretty good

Have fun TB

I have been there at that time and got some great snow and it wasn't that busy.

Photos and Trip Report

Seemore