I have decided to buy a new board for this season, so I am looking for suggestions regarding a good board to buy.

Basically I am looking for a good, free-ride board that handles well in powder, but still allows me to have a bit of fun in Park. Ostensibly I like to go off-piste and/or slack country when the snow is good, but I also go out with friends who like to muck about in Park.

As an old man I tend to enjoy cruising between the trees the most these days.

Any suggestions good people of Snow Japan?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once I get them sorted out I will happily sell a few for what they cost me to people who are genuinely interested. Its all new so I may be building a noodle or a plank lol, I just dont know. I defina

see! pure stylin!   Enjoy the steeze:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NytY1QfvjVM&feature=related   (what im kind of roundabout suggesting is that if park is really just something you do wh

What are your stats?

Good question! I knew I should have written my stats down.

Male (sorry about that, but you can all at least imagine her voice when you read my posts)

Height: 170cm

Weight: 64kg

Shoe size: 27cm

id love to advise you, but ive come to realise my advice is pretty much always the board i like or ride, instead of an objective opinion.

So with that in mind, go pick up a fish or a fishcuit and stun EVERYONE by killing it in the park. Better yet, f*** the park. :)

LOL @ the voice.

Im going to go straight for the jugular and recommend the prior kyhber 156

http://www.priorsnow.com/khyber

Ask mich rich about his.

Thanks for that. It looks like a really good board, but I will wait to hear from a few of the other members before I make a decision.

LOL @ the voice.

Im going to go straight for the jugular and recommend the prior kyhber 156

http://www.priorsnow.com/khyber

Ask mich rich about his.

Thanks for that. It looks like a really good board, but I will wait to hear from a few of the other members before I make a decision.

Sounds like a great choice to me! ;) & despite what ippy says above, it's worth reading your way through this post...

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/20969-new-board/

if you've not done so already and have a spare 30 to 40 minutes to kill, as I think there's a lot of good advice from the afore-mentioned plus gozaimaas and others!! :D

see! pure stylin!

Enjoy the steeze:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NytY1QfvjVM&feature=related

(what im kind of roundabout suggesting is that if park is really just something you do when your mates kinda drag you in there or its just something you kinda like popping into now and again but its not really your prima riding terrain, you shouldnt really be trying to wedge that into your board requirement. Buy the board you want for the terrain you want to ride, if you kinda like park, honestly you can still hit it on any board out there if its around your size, it doesnt really need to be a factor unless youre determined to do nothing but jib jib butter butter jib all the live long day).

• Like 1

I dont even have butter on my toast!

You on a diet?? ;)

That vid's brilliant btw. Not taking anything away from the Fish but it just goes to show that a good rider can ride anything!! :D

see! pure stylin!

(what im kind of roundabout suggesting is that if park is really just something you do when your mates kinda drag you in there or its just something you kinda like popping into now and again but its not really your prima riding terrain, you shouldnt really be trying to wedge that into your board requirement. Buy the board you want for the terrain you want to ride, if you kinda like park, honestly you can still hit it on any board out there if its around your size, it doesnt really need to be a factor unless youre determined to do nothing but jib jib butter butter jib all the live long day).

As always Ippy your advice is salient and to the point. Thanks for the advice everyone, I do not plan to buy a board until early November, so I have a bit of time to research the different kinds of boards I might potentially purchase.

Very cool video...he is a bit better than me....

great vid......I SOOOOO want to get myself a Fish!! I currently ride a Salomon Powder Snake, that I bought new in feb/March. Its great in the powder (as you'd expect) and its very soft....which is a big change for me bcos my previous boards have all been stiff......(woohoo!! my new bindings have literally just arrived!!).........I love how playful it is on the groomed and then transforms into a pow slayer off the side

Sounds like you made a good choice with the Snake there TB! :thumbsup: So how about a pic with it sporting your new bindings!

I flirted with the idea of buying a second hand Fish I saw last year but resisted!! :D

How much was it?

I'm trying not to look at new boards to stop me becoming tempted but if I were to see a 2nd hand fish for a good deal, I don't think I could stop myself

It was a blue, still-in-good-condition, 2006/7 season 156 that I saw in B Sports for I think about 30K-ish. Unsurprisingly, the next time I went there it had gone! :doh: I kicked myself at the time for not getting it when I had the chance, but then I wouldn't have ended up getting my Khyber, which I'm stoked about, so all's well that ends well! :D

im still wanting the hovercraft myself. Itd be nice t have a pow quiver. Thats just the height of excess :p

1. Charlie for nice long cruising pow and resort.

2. A fish/hover for predominant tree riding.

3. A solid swallowtail just to really stomp that all in for the deep stuff.

4. A pure ripper (cf. Burton cheetah as for example - board looks serious fun).

5. A nice split.

Actually id probably just combine 3 and 5. Dont want to be tooooo ridiculous :D

I've been riding a Fish now for years and I almost never touch any of my other boards, regardless of the conditions. I'm no pro but I do think the complaints about it not riding well on piste or in non-powder conditions are somewhat unwarranted... that being said, the Fish I ride is before the swallow tail was cut into it. It's also a stiffer board than the ones they make now.

CM156.jpg

im still wanting the hovercraft myself. Itd be nice t have a pow quiver. Thats just the height of excess :p

1. Charlie for nice long cruising pow and resort.

2. A fish/hover for predominant tree riding.

3. A solid swallowtail just to really stomp that all in for the deep stuff.

4. A pure ripper (cf. Burton cheetah as for example - board looks serious fun).

5. A nice split.

Actually id probably just combine 3 and 5. Dont want to be tooooo ridiculous :D

I've been looking very seriously at the Hovercraft split for over a year now. I still haven't pulled the trigger because I'm also looking at a new surfboard and my wife is very wisely making me choose between them... In a perfect world both would be being delivered right now...