The China situation - cancellations have started

All Nippon Airways spokesman Ryosei Nomura said more than 18,000 seats to and from China have been cancelled this month. The last time tensions flared up over the disputed islands, two years ago, the company took a $38 million financial hit, he said.

Most of them will come through Tokyo, so this has come back to bite Ishihara on the ass.

The shoppers and sightseers will outnumber the skiers by some massive proportion. Probably 20:1 plus.

arent there a few more players in the budget carrier flying to sapporo this year as well? Could this be the year that tickets in peak season are lessthan 30,000yen each way? Would love to get a few weeks up there again.

From China do you mean? Flights to Hokkaido on Skymark are 10,000 yen or so, aren't they?

If up to week is enough, there are plenty of cheap flight/accom bundles as packages. Some packages are six days between the flights but the accom is simply one night in Sapporo, so you are free to do what you want the other five days. You see them for 25,000 or so.

Alas im pretty much the same schedule as the peak season being a teacher with no nenkyu (i work when school is in session). and the prices of skymark rocket in the holidays. Even late march, which i thought would have been relatively cheap only had high price tickets available (30K). Wish i could get those 10k ones, but theyre usually long gone by the time i get on the case.

Ippy, there are loads of good deals available in late march. How about Y47,800 for flight, buses & 3-nights/4-days at Greenleaf Hotel with breakfast (Y39,800 if you've got a companion), and you can add in a 4-day liftpass for just Y13,500 -- and that wasn't the BEST deal going last season. You just have to search a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

On the news last night about "Chinese cancellations" now topping 100,000 people.

Not ski-related, or not specifically for any season anyway.

Got to imagine that if this continues though it will have an effect.