I have some friends visiting me in Jan and they want me to be a tour guide. They only have 15 or 18 days between arriving in Shin Chitose and flying out.

I am wondering if We should just stick to the Niseko area with the odd day trip to Rusutsu, Kiroro and the like. Or going to the Niseko region and then traveling to the Asahikawa region for 5/6 days.

We would probably hire a van and drive if we were to head to Asahikawa, giving us the ability to try Furano/Kamui and the like.

This will be their first time in Japan, and they are all very strong boarders, having lived in Queenstown for close to 20 years.

What do you think, any sensible advice would be much appreciated.

Sand,

If they are strong boarders, adventurous and not after a slow start cruisey holiday, then I say take them to as many of your favorite spots as possible. We have usually stuck to the one (or two) resorts, but haven't had a car and a guide to run us out to the best spots, and many trips have not been at a skill level to tackle some of the stuff out there. If it were me and PB coming to join you now, we would put our hands up for loads of places, all those 'secret' spots that local knowledge brings.

Have fun!

My personal preference is to travel around to different places but that's because I'm ok doing half days (or only spending the best part of each day on the mountain). However, because your friends are coming from further away I would recommend basing yourself in Niseko and heading to other nearby places whenever you can, especially if it's only the 15 day trip. Conditions on the ground make a big difference too... as I'm sure you are aware, it's easy to lose multiple days in Niseko to wind or unfavourable weather. I guess it really depends on how much time per day your friends want to put in on the hill... and whether or not they want a relaxing vacation or one with a lot of stuff jam into it.

Thank you everyone for you advice. BM, I am pretty sure my friends want not much stuff jammed in just as much time on the snow as possible. Provided things go as planned, we should only need a couple of half days off for travelling.