I did 6 weeks in a noah.

I wouldnt recomment the townace/liteace if it doesnt have seats in the back. I was weary of the seats but they all folded down retively flat to provide a well insulated bed. If you got a van with no seats you would have to go straight to homac and buy a sheet of ply and some tools so you could fit out the back with a bed (this would be pretty sweet though).

I found there was a large temperature gradient between the height of the folded down seats (my bed) and floor level. I would not want to be sleeping at floor level unless I was in a himalaya suit lol.

My biggest recommendation would be to get a roof pod so you can throw the boards in it rather than inside the van.

Also get goretex gear so you dont have to worry about drying it every night. Gloves and boot liners live on the dash at all times with the aircon pumping on them.

As a non japanese speaker you cant go past a toyota rental.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ya...There are good and bad points with every rig. Set up and tear down are about 10 minutes each way. And you leave all your bedding in there so they are always made up. Big negatives for me are t

i was thinking townace with no back seats would be perfect with thermarest + sleeping bag

how did u sleep on folded down seats? isnt that uneven and super uncomfortable?

pod or racks are a given.

The noah seats go flat enough, I also bought a cheap mattress for 2000yen and a towel to fill in one low spot that was annoying me. It was perfect after that.

The other negative is that vans with no seats often have little in the way of interior lining in the back which will make it even colder and produce a lot of condensation.

If I had a bottle of water at bed height it would often not freeze in the night, any water at floor level would be frozen solid, every single night.

I would go full sized van and build a raised platform. I'm building one right now for the back of my LandCruiser mostly for storage space but also a sleeping platform. You don't want to be directly on the floor. If not a cheap build....a folding cot can be had for around 8000 yen and that would fit great.

I would go full sized van and build a raised platform. I'm building one right now for the back of my LandCruiser mostly for storage space but also a sleeping platform. You don't want to be directly on the floor. If not a cheap build....a folding cot can be had for around 8000 yen and that would fit great.

I travelled around Oz with this guy who had done that to his Land Cruiser. Had a large mattress in the back built on a platform that had large drawers underneath for storage. He also had water pipes set up on the roof, one was black and one grey....grey pipe was drinking water and the black was shower/washing water....the black pipe would absorb the sun's heat all day and provide a warm shower....which felt like luxury in the bush

I travelled around Oz with this guy who had done that to his Land Cruiser. Had a large mattress in the back built on a platform that had large drawers underneath for storage. He also had water pipes set up on the roof, one was black and one grey....grey pipe was drinking water and the black was shower/washing water....the black pipe would absorb the sun's heat all day and provide a warm shower....which felt like luxury in the bush

I'm slowly in the process of getting mine expedition rigged. Still debating (faffing.. ;) ) the layout of the rear cargo area. I'll probably just go with something simple like picture #1 but having a fridge/freezer would be nice and a little more storage space would be great like in pic #2. Another option ..and my wife gave me the go ahead on it...is to get a roof top tent and side room. But them I loose all the storage space on the roof rack. Decisions..decisions.

Also, on the back burner is a Webasto hot water heater. They are big $$ but awesome for instant hot water and run off the trucks diesel.

IMAG0949_zps1fcac2fa.jpg

attachment-2_zps81a07443.jpg

attachment-1_zps97c36251.jpg

Ya...There are good and bad points with every rig. Set up and tear down are about 10 minutes each way. And you leave all your bedding in there so they are always made up. Big negatives for me are their cost and crawling down the ladder at night to take a leak.....

• Like 1

Hi Tubby et al

Yes I am looking for a nice big 4-6 berth camping car.... after all i like my comforts.

4wd would be a plus, but snow tyres, and a gas hob and heater is all we really need. Toilet would be handy too though!

Have now found a quote for a 6 bed for 830,000 so its coming down slowly :)

I travelled around aus for 3 months in a toyota hi-ace poptop. The poptop was a god send for me as not being able to stand up for 3 months would be a killer. Hence another reason why im happy to pay for a larger camper now.

Leeds skier- I have been speaking with Andrew about renting the same rv for our trip in feb- do you know anyone who has rented through japanrvrental and their experience. Does anyone know if they do Paypal in Japan as they want deposit money via bank transfer. I would rather have some other way of protecting my deposit. Thx for your help, CANT WAIT to finally ski Japan :)

• SnowJapan Admin

leeds_skier, I just saw your mail asking for 'permission', but you should already be able to send PMs.

skiwhore, on the other hand, has only made one post on the Forums and so PMs are not yet activated for that account. It's an automated thing, and essentially there to prevent spamming of members/advertising.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

First time poster please be gentle, just planning my Japan trip at the last minute and was looking at the camping car hire option as I'm not keen on booking accomodation ahead, want to go where the conditions are best and check out Rusutsu, Furano, Sahoro, Kamui and some of the ropeway hills, Asahidake, Kurodake, these are not locked in, just possible options.

Have had trouble trying to book or even check availablity for budget accomodation in some of these places on likely dates so being free and easy with travel plans is maybe not so easy.

Got a quote for a pretty sweet set up for a good price, would just like to check with anyone that this rig would not cause any major issues with finding places to set up for the night or for just driving around. Quote was with JapanRV, if anyone has experience with these guys that would be interesting as well.

p1040399.jpgp1040413.jpgp1040410.jpg

For the date 21-02-2014 to 14-03-2014 the price is,

Type C: 190,000 JPY including tax and insurance. A 50% discount has been applied for winter rental. There is a deposit payable to secure the booking.

km limit: up to 2,590km and 40 JPY per kilometer thereafter.

There are further charges and non use payable in case of damage or an accident not covered by insurance.

Please read important information about winter rental conditions.

Here are some inclusions and attached images of the vehicle.

Fridge, Sink, Stove, TV, Navigation, Heater.

Here are extras,

Cooking equipment - 2,100 JPY

Sleeping bag with pillow - 2,100 JPY

Outdoor table and chair set - 2,100 JPY

Price is for entire rental period.

Generator - 10,500 JPY per day.

Anyway let us have it, the other option is to play it by ear, can you just rock up to Rusutsu or Kurodake and find reasonably priced beds for the night, spent a week in Furano last March so I know there's plenty of options there, seems like most of the pension sites are in Japanese and booking is by telephone or fax.

Cheers