Working my 1st season in Niseko Any advice/tips?

Hi,

Im working in Niseko this winter. Ive done 2 seasons before in France, so know what to expect in terms of the work.

I ski, and wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for working in Niseko, as I will be travelling alone, and its a long way etc!!!

Ill have alot to bring etc, and will be bringing my ski boots, but need to buy/rent skis for the season. Is this easily available for the season.

Also does anyone know what NISADE are like to work for.

Thanks

Dave.

Thanks for the response!

Would you be able to tell me a little more about NISADE?? The only impression I have are from their website and from my Skype interview. Are they a reputable company? How many foreign staff do they employ?

I will be doing mainly driving duties and porter/concierge work. Is this a good job for them?

Yes I have heard about the nightlife one of the main reasons I applied for Niseko, cant wait to go!

Any advice on ski insurance for any accidents on the mountain? Is it best to buy in Japan or before I go?

Is there a good social aspect to working with them, as when I worked my seasons in France, everyone is mainly there to ski/drink and have fun, which Im sure is the same as Niseko.

Thanks very much

Dave.

I haven't found skis in to Japan to be very good value, best to buy a pair left over from last year in the UK, than rely on being able to get them in Niseko. I have seen some ok deals on some skis, but in limited sizes and types of ski.

+1 on getting involved with darts, lots of fun. I've met a fair few of the Nisade crew through darts, and they seem to be a decent company to work for.

If you haven't got flights already, I just got a good deal on Virgin, and they are one of the few companies that still give you free ski carriage.

See you there.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Im working in Niseko this winter. Ive done 2 seasons before in France, so know what to expect in terms of the work.

I ski, and wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for working in Niseko, as I will be travelling alone, and its a long way etc!!!

Ill have alot to bring etc, and will be bringing my ski boots, but need to buy/rent skis for the season. Is this easily available for the season.

Also does anyone know what NISADE are like to work for.

Thanks

Dave.

Hey Dave, myself and my boyfriend are also coming out to Niseko this Winter Season from the UK. So excited! We also got a job with Nisade, or at least we think we have, we got offered jobs but still haven't received out contract and had no response to our last couple of e-mails. Just wondered if you'd received yours? I'm also considering whether to buy or rent ski's at the moment, really not sure what will be for the best!

I haven't found skis in to Japan to be very good value, best to buy a pair left over from last year in the UK, than rely on being able to get them in Niseko. I have seen some ok deals on some skis, but in limited sizes and types of ski.

skis in niseko are very expensive, and renting is quite expensive too. in any case, they cater to the tourists, so they usually dont have the good stuff in stock

but i have found that buying skis online from Tokyo to be just as cheap as when I was living in USA

Tip #1 Learn Australian and Chinese :)

Tip #2 Learn to ski deep pow.

Tip #3 Learn to Party.

You will have a geat time I am encouraging my kids to do the same and MB has her kids working over there.

Nisade seem fine I have dealt with them with accomodation.

Seemore

PS I don't know about skis but wouls think to bring some from home.

......and MB has her kids working over there.
actually there has been a hiccup on this.

He is on a wait list.

Something about the jobs available did not require the higher board qualification, which made him too expensive...

At this stage in a holding pattern, if there is no offer, he is likely to go for a month in Jan/Feb, and see if he can pick up casual instructing work. (which is what they have recommended).

It's no biggie as he earns a lot more per hour here in Perth anyway. It's just not the lifestyle he ultimate wants.

......and MB has her kids working over there.
actually there has been a hiccup on this.

He is on a wait list.

Something about the jobs available did not require the higher board qualification, which made him too expensive...

At this stage in a holding pattern, if there is no offer, he is likely to go for a month in Jan/Feb, and see if he can pick up casual instructing work. (which is what they have recommended).

It's no biggie as he earns a lot more per hour here in Perth anyway. It's just not the lifestyle he ultimate wants.

That's weird, which school!?

skis in niseko are very expensive, and renting is quite expensive too. in any case, they cater to the tourists, so they usually dont have the good stuff in stock

but i have found that buying skis online from Tokyo to be just as cheap as when I was living in USA

Where have you found good value skis? I always have a browse on Rakuten, but they are still hilariously overpriced, and typically too small.

I haven't bought skis in Japan for about 10 years now. Usually bring them back from trips to U.S., but think you could order from here and even with the shipping pay much less. Keith O'Meara told me he can ship Praxis skis to Japan for about $90, and with the deals he offers that's far better than you can do in Jimbocho.

Where have you found good value skis? I always have a browse on Rakuten, but they are still hilariously overpriced, and typically too small.

so far I've used Rakuten several times to find & buy stuff.

My set purchased last year (line pollards opus) were for the same price as online in USA, from websports.co.jp (well, maybe slightly more). But the shipping made it cheaper, plus they were offering a deal on bindings and brakes at the same time. Off the top of my head, about the equivalent of $700US.

short for some, but 185 was long enough for me. i admit its pretty long for a Japanese store to stock, but they had many other longer skis also at comparable prices, so theyre obviously catering to westerners.