Japan winter 2012-2013 weather forecast (provisional)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My prediction for the winter:   It will gradually get colder from now until December. It will definitely be November before December, that's a cert. It will snow towards the end of the year, proba

I don't think I will actually argue with him anymore. As Mark Twain once said "do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I think that should be a question mark, no?

Traditionally in an "El Nino" year Tokyo gets a lot more snow than normal

Given that Tokyo gets very little snow except maybe well out in the Okutama area, I doubt Nino/Nina have much effect.

What snow Tokyo does get tends to come in very late winter and melt away in 12 C sunshine the following day.

Given that Tokyo gets very little snow except maybe well out in the Okutama area, I doubt Nino/Nina have much effect.

What snow Tokyo does get tends to come in very late winter and melt away in 12 C sunshine the following day.

Absolutely, Tokyo does not get that much snow, but I was thinking of ski resorts closer to Tokyo that might get a bit more snow because of "El Nino". The reason why Tokyo gets more snow in an "El Nino" year is due to the warm ocean water south of Tokyo caused by "El Nino". They were saying on NHK the other night that the snowfall misses Kansai, but hits Kanto, due to the currents or something.

As I say I am an amateur weather watcher, with a lot of emphasis on the "amateur". I just hope it snow like the last two years, but I do not think it will.

If Tokyo had snow in Dec/Jan/Feb it would probably mean more snow than normal in the Gunma ski areas, as that would be storms strong enough to still be dumping well after they've pushed over the mountains from the Japan Sea side.

Tokyo snow in March -- the usual case -- wouldn't mean much as it's just warm wet air moving up from the south east and butting into some cold air spilling down from the mountains.

(That's what I understand from weather-knowledgeable folks)

The snow in Tokyo doesn't seem to melt quick enough to stop the comical amount of car accidents the following morning though...

Who cares whether it snows more in Tokyo or not? I never ski in Tokyo...

I have no idea what this winter holds, but I do see that this thread has turned into a debate on climate change rather than the specific predictions that I always enjoy thinking about at this time of year.

Snowdude's prediction is completely unsubstantiated and if it happens to agree with what the Met Office is saying, then that's mere coincidence and nothing to do with practical observations.

At times, most Japanese resorts will be epic this season. Gear up to get out there, I say!

SdS

Currently the ENSO index is fairly neutral meaning it's not strongly El Nino. So although it appears we will be entering an El Nino phase again I don't think it's likely to be really strong this coming winter so is unlikely to have a significant effect on the winter weather pattern over Japan.

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I've had a look at the JMA long range forecasts for 12/13. I find it a bit unclear. For example in Niigata December - February they predict a 40% chance of below "normal snowfall" - does this mean a 60% of above "normal" snowfall?

I remember the long range forecast for 10/11 predicted something similar and when I went to Niseko in January 2011 they had a big month of snow relatively speaking. So, does anyone know how often these forecasts are actually on the money or at this stage is it really just an educated guess based on the fact its been a warm summer much like it was back in 10/11?

El nino is something I keep seeing being mentioned and I know it could be argued it caused the poor 08/09 season. Excuse my ignorance but does anyone know when we will know how strong this years el nino will be and are there any records previous to 08/09 of el nino events causing warm temps/poor snowfall at Japanese resorts?

Basically, I'm going to Myoko this January all the way from Scotland and I'm hoping for cold and snowy!!

• 1 month later...

Vito, although there is of course a chance of crap weather, January is usually EXTREMELY snow heavy. Myoko often gets huge amounts and I wouldn't be too worried about it conditions wise.....I'm sure it'll be magic :)