How much is your monthly keitai bill?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 16GB and 32GB were the same price so I was figuring I may as well get the bigger one even though I'm unlikely to use that much memory!

I'm on a $20 a month basic mobile plan. Have had it for years and years, and just buy a new phone, transfer the SIM between them. My provider (Telstra in Aus) would love me to upgrade, as they no longer offer this plan, but I am not willing to upgrade as I use the phone mainly as a reception device - ie I answer calls but do not make many - rather than a data/calling device.

I use a computer/tablet for data (utilising wifi as required for access) to get data.

For me (older but not luddite!) a telephone is for talking to people using voice or text. Data is far more readily used on a tablet or computer.

I was on Willcom for a good few years before upgrading to my iPhone…….as a phone and messaging machine, it performed fine. Often times I was also able to get a signal up mountains when the other carriers failed. I switched because I wanted a smartphone. (My willcom phone had actually died…..so I needed to replace it anyway)

I don't know the end cost but the headline cost of 1GB a month on Y! Mobile is 3000 yen. 3GB is 4000.

That's for smartphone data and 300 calls, not just calls and e mail like Willcom. Their target is cheapskates like me who've not got a smartphone yet.

If you're not on Softbank (part of Yahoo's group), you can switch to them and get a free phone by the sounds.

They only use budget phones, so no Iphone or Galaxy, but the review sites say the Nexus 5 is pretty good.

I don't know the end cost but the headline cost of 1GB a month on Y! Mobile is 3000 yen. 3GB is 4000.

That's for smartphone data and 300 calls, not just calls and e mail like Willcom. Their target is cheapskates like me who've not got a smartphone yet.

If you're not on Softbank (part of Yahoo's group), you can switch to them and get a free phone by the sounds.

They only use budget phones, so no Iphone or Galaxy, but the review sites say the Nexus 5 is pretty good.

Heya Wiggles! :wave: Howzitgoing?

Just passing by and happened to see this - is that '300 free calls' to any phone (including other companies) and does that include unlimited time?

If so, sounds like a good enough deal for me to think about myself.

I'm currently using an iPhone 3 (on a hacked OS which effectively unlocks it), for phone/SMS/wifi only. No data plan, just regular phone plan (the iPhone gives me a better texting experience than a regular phone) on docomo, which usually costs me around 2000 - 3000 yen a month, as I don't make so many calls. I switched out the SIM from my crappy docomo phone and it works fine on the iPhone, so if I could find a cheap plan with data included I'd consider switching. Most of the time I don't need a data plan cos I use Wi2 which has lots of available hotspots in town, and also lots of places have wifi anyway and I have home internet.... not interested in spending the crazy prices but if something reasonable shows up then that's another story....!

Edit to add - I paid 3000 yen for the iPhone 3 (well, it IS old but in great nick).... lucky bargain a few months back!

Hi Sunrise. Hope life is good! Your mobile sounds good to me!

I enquired about doing the same on au with an old android phone, i.e., using wifi when available and no data when not, but the people said "oh you need the data plan because smartphones can suck lots of expensive data packets from the Net and you can't stop them! you can't!!" It was probably just the usual scaremongering, but still. Au doesn't let you just switch sims with older phones unlike docomo and softbank. You have to go to the shop and pay 2100 yen.

I think the Y! Mobile thing is 300 calls of up to 10 minutes. If you look on kakaku.com, there is a place that does MNP to Y! Mobile and gives you a Nexus 5 for no charge.

Mr. Wiggles that what au have told you about not being able to use your old sim card in a new phone is incorrect. That is for sure.

I am with au and I have the latest au smart phone but my sim card is from an old mobile phone. That sim card is many years old now.

Also I can put the sim back into my old smart phone and it will work as a phone again.

They are just playing you for the 2100 yen.

I would talk them about it because regardless of phone they always put your old sim card into a new phone.

Yup - I agree - you should try it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

And nah - smartphones can't suck any data off the net if there's no data plan!

So - 300 calls of up to 10mins each or a total of 10 mins (that would be a bit strange - who would make 300 calls and use less than 10 mins total?!!!!

Anyway, something to look into! I don't really like the android/google experience so I wouldn't really be interested in a free android phone - my last docomo phone is/was an android, didn't like it at all, turned off all wifi (no data of course), texting was a PITA...

Gotta get back up your way sometime, Wiggles - car's still running wonderfully with it's new (well, ok, a few years old now) battery still going gangbusters - it's probably love a long run uphill! :)