How much is your monthly keitai bill?

I’m in the market for a new phone as my 2 year contract has just expired and someone recently described my keitai as “dasai”, which I took to mean uncool!! :lol:

I currently have a basic, Softbank flip-phone and am looking to upgrade to something with internet access so I can check my emails, transport options and of course SJF, when I’m out and about. I reckon I won't use the internet much during the week as I have access at work and home, so it's mainly going to be for weekend use BUT I’m really put off by the monthly bills that I hear people are paying, so thought I’d see what you're all spending on here, if you don't mind dishing the dirt!? ;)

Whilst I’m at it, any thoughts on whether I should go for a smartphone or stay with a flip-phone? I know that the new iPhone 5 is due out soon [ http://www.snowjapan...21994-iphone-5/ ] but would like to watch YouTube, which I understand you can’t do on the iPhone.

& I have no objection to switching networks, which I think I can now do without incurring a penalty charge.

Cheers guys! :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 16GB and 32GB were the same price so I was figuring I may as well get the bigger one even though I'm unlikely to use that much memory!

My iPhone 4s bill is about I think 9450 yen a month.

But, that includes the cost of the phone itself split over 12 months - so I have nearly finished that up - and the unlimited data thingy.

The cost of the actually phone bit isn't that much.

As discussed elsewhere, it's just so sleek to use and it is a thing of beauty, I really love it.

My AU smart phone bill is just a shade under 10,000 / month, which includes up to 4000 yen of free calls / unlimited email / internet access, but this also includes the monthly fee for the actual phone split over 2 years.

All of the contracts now are either 1 or 2 years terms!

I don't have a smartphone but have looked into it, and if you change provider and get a free phone, I think you're looking at 3500-4000 extra a month compared to a Japanese dasai mobile, which on a family plan can be under 3000 a month.

If you stay with the same provider, they'll make you pay for the handset, so you get the cost of one of them on the top, say 45,000 divided by 24 months.

Very fast home internet is cheap in Japan but unfortunately smartphones aren't.

DY20120904102738293L0.jpg

Its about 6k a month now after paying off my handset cost.

5k for unlimited wimax and internet etc.

1k for basic plan that gives me about 1hr of free calls a month

I use an HTC Evo 3d because I can use it as mobile wifi hotspot for my devices such as the PS Vita and tablet. Moreover, the android o/s provides me with a lot of flexibility with what I can do with it.

Can you tether off it too MiJ?

If tethering/smartphone-as-mifi works well, you can ditch your home internet and the smartphone pays for itself. More money for snowboarding!

Yep, I sometimes use it at home but mostly on my journey to work and home again. We use the internet at home for a plethora of devices (TV, IP phone, Wife's computer) so we can't really ditch it.

Good idea though. :)

After recently doing the same thing and giving up my Willcom tin cans and string for an iPhone 4S my bills are only just over 6k. That covers everything.......free emails, Internet pack and free calls to designated friends n family AU phones. I'm always online, using Facebook, BBC etc etc. it took me a long time to get on the smartphone wave but I love my iPhone :D

I was thinking more of folks living alone on not so much money. Like I did when I were a lad :grandpa:

A lot of the videos I want to watch on my ipod touch won't play on it. They just don't come up on a search. Its mainly songs that I want to hear through our speaker dock in the kitchen. It sounds like a fair few videos on youtube aren't available to mobile devices.

A lot of the videos I want to watch on my ipod touch won't play on it. They just don't come up on a search. Its mainly songs that I want to hear through our speaker dock in the kitchen. It sounds like a fair few videos on youtube aren't available to mobile devices.

Flash.

That is still really very annoying.

While some vids on youtube are not available on mobile most if you search for the alternate ones.

If you use the youtube app that automatically only finds and plays ones that are for mobile.

Thanks for all the replies guys! :thumbsup: I have to pop into Tokyo tomorrow, so may drop by one of the Softbank stores with English-speaking staff and see what they can offer me.

So what is the cheapest these days for a dasai flip-top dumb phone, that does nothing more than phone, e-mail and the occasional snapshot?

Softbank seems way too expensive for what one gets (i.e., marginal signal and frequent disconnects/scramblings/etc.).

(I like flip-tops, because less likelihood of accidentally hitting a button while carrying them.)

So what is the cheapest these days for a dasai flip-top dumb phone, that does nothing more than phone, e-mail and the occasional snapshot?

Softbank seems way too expensive for what one gets (i.e., marginal signal and frequent disconnects/scramblings/etc.).

(I like flip-tops, because less likelihood of accidentally hitting a button while carrying them.)

If I only send sms/texts to other Softbank users between the hours of 1am and 9pm (or thereabouts), I pay 980Yen a month, the phone being free. Invariably I go over that but on average I reckon I've been paying 1,100yen/month for the past 2 years.

Beam me up Scotty! :D

With au you have to pay more for actual e-mail. I think its 300 a month basic plus packets.

Their own c-mail thingy is free, I guess, but is only between au users.

Mine and my missus are on the same bill so I don't know the split, but I think mine comes to 2000-2500 yen.That's unlimited calls to her and email.

Emails with big attachments do not reach dasai au phones. They get bounced with no warning given at the phone. Sometimes I get to my desk and notice a work email that couldn't get redirected to my mobile.