• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to phone them tonight just to check.   But unless they have rebuilt my local pub on my parent's land, I think I know the answer!

(but only girls please)

denki and water....?? Let's get gnarly..

Already pretty minimal electricity consumption, I think. Probably can't do much more on that front without installing solar panels. (Someday!)

Water, too, I think. Actually, water usage has gone down a bit in recent years.

As for clothing, let's just say I'm too considerate to cut back there.

Slightly off topic again.....

I Jailbreaked my iphone 4 last night and am using it as a WiFi spot for my computers and iPad. Works quite well and is only a wee bit slower than a regular LAN internet connection. Great for non 3G iPads.

Amid widespread complaints over Apple's new iOS 6 Maps app, which replaced the Google-powered application that had shipped on iOS devices since the iPhone debuted in 2007, some observers have wondered how much of the shift was due to Apple's desire to reduce its reliance upon on Google and how much might be due to other factors.

In particular, there has been some speculation that demands by Google could also have played a role in Apple's decision, with the suggestion being that Apple may have been forced to roll out its own mapping solution a bit sooner than it had planned for if its contract with Google had been running out.

The Verge now reports that such speculation is unfounded, with Apple and Google having had over a year left on their contract for Google's Maps app. Consequently, Apple could presumably have continued using Google's app in iOS 6 as it worked to improve its own mapping product for a launch with iOS 7 next year.

Quote: For its part, Apple apparently felt that the older Google Maps-powered Maps in iOS were falling behind Android -- particularly since they didn't have access to turn-by-turn navigation, which Google has shipped on Android phones for several years. The Wall Street Journal reported in June that Google also wanted more prominent branding and the ability to add features like Latitude, and executives at the search giant were unhappy with Apple's renewal terms. But the existing deal between the two companies was still valid and didn't have any additional requirements, according to our sources -- Apple decided to simply end it and ship the new maps with turn-by-turn.

Apple's decision apparently caught Google off-guard, as Google is reportedly still several months away from having a standalone maps app ready for submission to the App Store.

Are we all poor all of a sudden?

Simply, the less money spent on crap one does not value, the more there is to spend on crap one does value.

+1000! In terms of how much I can spend on myself compared to ten years ago, I'm probably poor though.

re. Apple failing to work with partners, it sounds like there was some kind of squabble between them and Nike over Nike Plus, the running app that is part of iOS.

The Nike forum for it had loads of complaints and the official response was usually that Apple wouldn't give them the api for the system.

Was in the Au shop today just asking about when the latest models will be out which will be October, and thought I would have a look at the new

Iphone 5, couldn't believe how tiny it is. I thought it was supposed to be bigger? It is smaller than the smart phone I have now, by a fair bit and I want to change mine for an even bigger screen, because I thought that was a bit small. Have to say picking up an Iphone feels like you are holding a toy. I played with it too and can't say I was so impressed with it, especially the internet it was so slow.

I know people like iphone so much, but I do wonder why, when compared to the phone I have now the iphone just doesn't impress me.

Sorry iphone users, but that is my feelings on it!

Iphone 5, couldn't believe how tiny it is. I thought it was supposed to be bigger?

It is bigger than the iphone4 which is what it was 'supposed' to be.

If Apple wanted to make a humungous phone, I'm sure they would.

Obviously they don't want to do that and think that the screen size they have is perfect for a phone and using in one hand.

Was in the Au shop today just asking about when the latest models will be out which will be October, and thought I would have a look at the new

Iphone 5, couldn't believe how tiny it is. I thought it was supposed to be bigger? It is smaller than the smart phone I have now, by a fair bit and I want to change mine for an even bigger screen, because I thought that was a bit small. Have to say picking up an Iphone feels like you are holding a toy. I played with it too and can't say I was so impressed with it, especially the internet it was so slow.

I know people like iphone so much, but I do wonder why, when compared to the phone I have now the iphone just doesn't impress me.

Sorry iphone users, but that is my feelings on it!

I said it earlier but I thought the 5 was the 4S in a different colour. The two were next to each other on the display. I nearly got into an argument with my wife about it!

Find that rather strange and you cant have had much of a look as within the confines of it being a iPhone, I would say they are very different.

The new one is much lighter (I prefer the 4S in that respect) and they do actually look quite different. The glass back changing for a metal back is another change where I actually prefer the 4S.

The added 'row' added in screen size actually does make a big difference - more than I thought it would, now I have been using it for a week. A bigger screen that does make a difference, but keeping it very usable in one hand.

Samsung and others just seem to want to make the biggest phone, which I am sure is actually an easy thing to do from a design and technical.