Restaurant tipping in Australia & Canada

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I hope that the students I am teaching tip me when they get into a better university than expected.

Thanks everyone for your replies. :thumbsup:

It sounds as though in Canada a 15% restaurant tip is the norm but it's more discretionary in Australia, though usually no more than 10%. That seems to mirror the position in the US and UK respectively, which I guess is no great surprise really. Thanks again! :)

I think the aliens will be very confused by the strange and peculiar tradition of tipping in restaurants and hotels in some countries. They'll have a jolly hard time explaining it to their bosses, that's for sure.

Think about it. Yep, it's really stupid.

I hardly ever go to restaurants o/s, but if I did and I gave a tip, I wouldn't do it by credit card because there is no guarantee that the server is even going to get the money.

It's not a restaurant but here is an example of all-too-typical corporate thinking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/apr/29/cruise-firm-performance-bonuses-tips

That is screwed up.

I think that there is a move by companies to try and make the tipping thing a new custom, in places like the UK at least.

I'm sure it didn't used to be as prevelant and in your face as it is now.

Can hardly believe people would do what you said there just before Mamabear.

Honto?!?

Honto!

I know, right!!! :lol:

Cracks me up, because it is normally people who are not doing it tough.

While I am not keen on wastefulness I do prefer to be of generous spirit, will always round up if a bill is being split, usually stick change in the tips jar etc. It is such foreign behaviour to me that I always notice it.

Doing it tough is an interesting concept in Australia now though MB. I heard a women on the radio the other day whose combined household income is in excess of $200k a year claim they were doing it tough!!! God this country is so ****ed up :sj-lol:

I'm getting confused because I've had Brit and Kiwi ski instructors, and an Aussie guide on a snowcat outing, and none of them turned down tips. Oh, and the servers in restaurants in Australia too. I suppose they all only accepted because they didn't want to embarrass the silly Yank, and promptly made donations to the local widows & orphans funds. Yes, I'm sure that's it :lol:

Di Griz, where were these operations located?

I have never had a ski school or snow cat op suggest tipping, but my travels so far are limited (Aus, Japan, France, Italy, Switzerland).

When in Rome do as the Romans do...?

If an Aussie is working in the US, then they will be working under the conditions of the US. And therefore tips are an expected and required part of employment. If you 'tip' a waiter in Australia, of course they will accept it - but it is a real gratuity, not an expectation with a figure attached.

Well, MB, a google search on SNOWCAT, GRATUITIES will yield plenty of suggestions, including Steamboat, San Juan, Whistler, Aspen, Castle & Pacific Crest -- just on the first screen.

That gratuities would be most appreciated was in the brochure for the Ski Esprit program at Whistler when I did it sometime back.

I just find all the high dudgeon about tipping to be pretty amusing, coming from people who have lifestyles that let them enjoy what is, after all, one of the world's more elitist pastimes. If people can't afford to throw a couple of bucks to a waiter or waitress who's working for minimum wage, maybe they need to cut down on snow days. If they can afford it yet don't...well, maybe it's a high-minded refusal to buy into the culture of extortion. Yeah, and as Bart would say, monkeys might fly out my butt!

I just find all the high dudgeon about tipping to be pretty amusing, coming from people who have lifestyles that let them enjoy what is, after all, one of the world's more elitist pastimes. If people can't afford to throw a couple of bucks to a waiter or waitress who's working for minimum wage, maybe they need to cut down on snow days. If they can afford it yet don't...well, maybe it's a high-minded refusal to buy into the culture of extortion. Yeah, and as Bart would say, monkeys might fly out my butt!

I used to work in restaurants, and generally tip pretty well when in a country where they are customary, but I honestly find the whole custom rather degrading, for parties on either side of the transaction. I'd rather have the menu price be 20% higher, and the restaurant base wage higher, than to be either a customer or employee under the tipping system. And certainly wouldn't want to encourage the practice to spread.

I used to work in restaurants, and generally tip pretty well when in a country where they are customary, but I honestly find the whole custom rather degrading, for parties on either side of the transaction. I'd rather have the menu price be 20% higher, and the restaurant base wage higher, than to be either a customer or employee under the tipping system. And certainly wouldn't want to encourage the practice to spread.

Absolutely Mr Oyaji. It's a ridiculous practice that should not be encouraged.

Pay the staff to the level of your service.

Take a whole lot of stress out of the situation on both sides as well.

If people can't afford to throw a couple of bucks to a waiter or waitress who's working for minimum wage, maybe they need to cut down on snow days. If they can afford it yet don't...well, maybe it's a high-minded refusal to buy into the culture of extortion.

Do you throw a couple of bucks to the lady behind the counter at 7-11?

Or the station man?

Or the girl in the shop?

(You know, for the sake of argument, the really really really helpful ones who go out of their way to help. The ones on the same minimum wage).

If not, whyever not?

Steamboat - Colorado USA

San Juan - Colorado USA

Whistler - Canada

Aspen - Colorado USA

Castle - Colorado USA

Pacific Creat - Tahoe Cali, USA

All the above (that you pointed out) are based in cultures where tipping is the norm, and wages are structured that tips are necessary. The employment conditions of everyone (including Aussies and Nzers) would be the same. Therefore yes, they would expect tips.

If your US compadres came and worked in ski school in Australia they would be paid more per hour by thier employer, the basic rate (and yes, I know the ski schools try to get staff on the lowest rates, it is biting my boy in the ass right now) - tips would not be expected to be paid, but would be delightfully received with surprise if they are given.

It's not 'high dungeon' stuff, whatever that actually means...

It is simply that in our cultures we do not use this system. It is foreign to us, we are not sure of the intricate 'rules' of tipping that people in the US grow up with and learn from the cradle. We are used to the old 'fair days work, for a fair days pay' and the price of service is the price printed on the menu, not that plus somewhere in the vicinity, up to your discretion, dependent on your perception of the service given, 10 to 20 % :lol:

I do tip, even though it is not expected. Not all the time, and as a definite gratuity (awesome service, thanks!).

In the US I try and do the right thing with tipping, but you really have to be switched on and thinking all the time - it is like driving in the wrong side of the road .... Doesn't come naturally, especially if you don't know all the intricate rules. Do you tip the barman 15% of drinks each round? If you have stuck your credit card on the bar and paying at the end, can you add the tip to the end payment? What about the kid at Maccas? Do you tip him? I always forget about bus drivers... Restaurants are easy! It's all the other situations!!

I drive on the wrong side of the road here in Japan with no problems, and on the wrong side of the road in the US with no problems :lol:

Fitting into other cultures can be complicated? Sure, agree entirely. I find new complications every damn day.

And I suspect that you err, if ever, on the side of generosity when you tip, MB.

But don't you feel a bit lonely as the only one here from a non-tipping society who confesses to tipping in cultures where it's expected?

Some comments here (the dudgeon -- not dungeon, btw, dungeons are downstairs :cool: ) appear motivated as much or more by simple stinginess as by commitment to some theoretically perfect society. And stinginess is despicable.

Pies, no I don't tip at the 7-11. Staff there aren't taxed on the tips they don't get, and in general they're not making minimum wage.

DiGriz,

Thank you.

You have contributed to my learning of one new thing a day today.

I had never heard the term dudgeon! Looked it up - hee hee, new word for the vocab ;)

Not sure the motivation is stinginess, more a dislike of a system that makes them uncomfortable.

Same reason a lot of people hate shopping in Bali or Phuket - having to barter for the price rather than just pay the price on the ticket unsettles them too much.

Have to agree with them though - staff should be paid a wage that sustains them, not rely on tips to pay their bills. Tips should be a nice little bonus, and they shouldn't be taxed in anticipation of them!! What an awful thing that is!