Living on the other side of the world and funerals....

Difficult, or not, one this.

Brother in law is ill and going to not be with us for more than a few more weeks.

Go back for funeral - in the US - or not. Obviously I would like to, but just don't know if I can, or if I will be expected.

Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear that your BIL has come to the end of his journey.

The decision to go will really depend on your situation, the families situation and whether or not you want to be there, or are needed at home.

Will your sister need you?

Do you want to get there to see him BEFORE he goes?

Number one thing of importance is that your situation and decision is unique to you. What others think does not matter.

I'm sure you'll do what you think is right for you.

I know in my case I would be on the way back, even though it's about 21 hours door to door for me, so a fair trek.

And not cheap either of course.

I also know what you mean about not wanting to think about it. Up until now I have not had to go back at short notice for any reason, thankfully. Not always going to be that way though I would think.

For family members, it's something I worry about, but there is never any question of not going.

What gets me more, after our recent jaunt back, is how much, and even more with kids, I miss my family. Yet I made this choice to live here, and start a family.

I went home earlier this year for an 'unplanned' family event.

I am glad I did it.

Good luck, hope your b-i-l doesn't suffer. If there is a good god, he won't allow such things. :(

I think we are all in this same boat. I had my best friends father suddenly pass last year. I was close to him throughout my childhood but I did not go back to his funeral and although I don't have many regrets in my life that is the one that stays on my mind. If you can swing it ....go.

It's tough as we get older. My MIL here is 84 and that's the one thing my wife worries about if we move to Canada....And my parents back home aren't getting any younger these days either....and me being an only child.... :confused: Mum and dad went over all the Will "stuff" with me this last trip back home....definitely awkward and weird.

But then ...hey....I might get hit by a bus or choke on some mochi tomorrow so....screw it....enjoy the day.. :sj-lol:

I know i might sound a little cold here, but i never went back for either of my grandfathers funerals. I dont really regret it in truth. In fact it doesnt really bother me at all. Indeed, im so not close to my family that still internally wrangling with the idea of going back with my dads. He wouldnt care. But i expect my sister might so id be more going back to keep her happy than for myself.

I know i might sound a little cold here, but i never went back for either of my grandfathers funerals. I dont really regret it in truth. In fact it doesnt really bother me at all. Indeed, im so not close to my family that still internally wrangling with the idea of going back with my dads. He wouldnt care. But i expect my sister might so id be more going back to keep her happy than for myself.
It's not cold. It's personal, and situational.

Every family and family relationship is different. And every persons preferences are different.

It's not cold. It's personal, and situational.

Every family and family relationship is different. And every persons preferences are different.

Thats exactly how i would have put it too :)

I would be on the first plane home if something happened to my parents or my brother/sister.

No questions asked.

For me, it's one of the possible cost of living here, if that makes sense.

Here is something to consider, don't know if it fits in with your situation.

She will likely be very busy around funeral - perhaps go a few weeks later when things have calmed down and you can spend more quality time.

Go back for funeral - in the US - or not. Obviously I would like to, but just don't know if I can, or if I will be expected.

Any thoughts?

On the issue of "can go", I would expect pretty much every Japanese company to give you the time off for someone as close as a sister's husband, even if its not as long a break as you might like. I wouldn't be surprised if your coworkers had a whip round as well.

As for "is it expected", that's up to your family and how close you are, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

OK the news came in over the weekend. As much as everyone was prepared for it, and in a way better that it did not drag on too long, it's still a shock to hear.

A few weeks ago we spoke about this and decided that I would go back a bit after funeral so that we can spend more time.

So looks like I'll be going back for an unexpected trip soon.