this thread has been an amusing read. lots of chuckles.

My opinion on jumping is not worth much, but here goes:

Ollies: I find that if you bend the back leg and keep the front leg straight it lifts your board onto the tail and then you can pop out from there. Kind of helps to do this on a gentle jump (my kind). ie a low angle jump (or a big roll on the run) at higher speed. These are fun as you don't go high, but you go far.

in the air: I really don't like jumps. one issue I have is that i just dont fell right 'hanging' in the air like that. This seems to give an uncomfortable pause between the tak off and landing. To fix this I did something that seems counter-intuitive. I started to 'do' something with my board when in the air, thus keeping a nice fluid link between the phases of teh jump. This made the jump feel more comfortable, but harder to land. If the snow is soft I will always try a 180 in the air rather than just 'being' there, waiting for the landing. The problem with the 180 is that you land backwards, and I cant do more than 3 turns in switch. So unless I get it back around pretty fast I am going to crash. I never have the compose to get it back around straight after a jump so I usually have to skid to a stop.

landing: like I said, I don't like jumps, and i don't think my stiff bindings help. For me the landing is the worst part. I hate it when the board thumps or slaps down. As Barok mentioned landing on the tail. I have done this by accident and it was the most enjoyable landing. Landing hard on the toe side edge just about snaps my ankles.

perhaps the dumbest thing I have done: had a recent day to myself in heaps of powder (they opened the lift late in the arvo and no one bothered going to it). Everything had clicked and I felt unbreakable. Saw a cliff with a steep landing from the lift and though "hmmm, I can do that" (I was lying to myself, I should NEVER have even thought about it). Did the jump (it was more of a drop than a jump). Felt better than sex. Did the jump again and landed in exactly the same spot, minus the nice soft powder. landed on ice and side ways. After the crash and long tumble down the slope I sat in the powder with my little metal "help, I am on my own and my knee is snapped!" whistle in my hand for 30 minutes. I decided not to blow it as I eventually managed to stand up. I tried some smaller jumps after then but ONLY if the landing was soft and no one had landed there before.

A final silly story: rode with some english and NZ guys for a while. There were some old wooden huts half buried in the snow drift. I rode up onto the roof of one, which had formed a small jump. Obviously I crashed.... right onto the spot where someone had taken a pee on the other side of the hut. It was actually a pretty lame jump, but the yellow snow crash added some excitement (for everyone else).

taking a liking to yellow snow aye db!

its annoying when you feel unbreakable and then you have a mega crash, confidence isnt so good for a while after that. But i must say i did some stupid sh!t while in Japan, had some big stacks, didn't learn, kept doing - well trying - to do big stuff. i think that was because of my limited time frame.

heres my two bobs worth.

i had an air lesson at sanosaka over a medium kicker two weeks ago. all in japanese but one on one...words of advice were relax, keep weight centred for take off and landing.

as for pop, may help over little jumps but as they get bigger use your speed to give you more air. do a grab to help fill in the hang time, it keeps u stable and straight.

also recommend steep landings as big crashes can be surprising painless.

i like my nog protector very much and use it frequently.

further gems of advice can be found here:

http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/snowboard/tutor/jumps.html

note the suggestion of not extending at take off....

;\)

After my painful tumble through some very large blocks of ice on Saturday, today I'm feeling like I did after 10 minutes of mortal combat with the forwards of the victorious Bristol Polytechnic rugby club in the Bristol University student union bar. Ouch.

Make sure you don't try a jump when you can't see the landing. And be sure not to ding your heat-proof tiles on take-off.

• 2 weeks later...

Air and pow is surely the best? Like strawberries and cream.

I hit my first 'one-make' yesterday, and couldn't seem to get much air whatever I tried. I went over it pretty fast at times and still didn't fly much. I saw people going so slowly that they looked like they wouldn't clear the ramp, but still they flew up high.

Now I've read your link mikazooki, I'm raring to go again... So that's shoulders in line with the board, but presumably head pointing at the jump?

yeah, i find an ollie helps on smaller jumps.

looking at the jump is a definite yes yes.

i decided more speed more air more fun, but had my weight too far toeward, and did a nice pancake (old bmx term?) jump. more air means more fear pre crash. freaked me out and a fled the jumps for the rest of the day. but full points to the body, especially ribs as i felt them distort on impact, just got a mighty winding and no further damage. the hole my shoulder left on the landing suggested i got a decent amount of air. \:\)