supposely when you go off the hump (whatever you call it) you are suppose to be center yourself, not toe side, not heel side. after in mid air, I do think should lean forward a bit.

but man... I thought I got pretty good muscles from all the compression and craving I do, but I dont get any height from trying the jumps.... anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Its pretty scary to try too,,... so maybe I am just chicken... :p

Never jump where the landing is flat! First way to hurt yourself badly!

Always look for the landing and you should stay nice nad centered. Remember where the head is pointing the body will go.

Best thing to do is to get yourself a shovel, build a kicker in a area with a powder landing and practice your heart away.

stay well away from most all jumps built by other punters - they all think about the run in and forget about the landing which is either 1) flat 2) uphill (i have seen this) 3) into a tree (I have also seen this)

Are you snowboarding or skiing?

If there is a small table around great - use it

if not any small jump with a good safe landing area will do.

First learn to "pop". ie flex ancles knees and hips crouching slightly and extend jumping of the ground a few inches.

Practice doing this on the flat and make sure your entire board/skis come of the ground evenly - this means your body is centred so you will go straight up and therefore straight down (back on to your feet).

go into the jump fairly slowly so you still have enough confidence to pop. (if you chicken out of popping you will land on your ass if your a snowboarder and if a skier you will rotate backwards or forwards so youll end up rowing the boat or doing the cat out of the window.)

next look for your landing and stomp it.

go in thinking "pop, look for landing"

easy

Thanks jared.

So far for me it's been a case of;

no pop - land on my arse

pop - land on my head

with a few Zen-like episodes where I become one with the matter around me and somehow land on my board. Those are just the best moments!

More practice is required I think.

mogski, thanks for your advice too. I'll make a rule that somebody whose name begins with Y has to build kickers...

Listen to an expert...build up lots of speed, bend down and give a good push off your knees, bend forward and landing will be a piece of cake.

(BTW I'm not an expert so don't listen to me, listen to jared and mogski)

get yourself some BIG tele ski things and head for the closest big olympic style ski jump (there is one near Kutchan at a little resort for when your staying in Niseko) and huck - after that everything elece will so small that its irrelavant.

Slightly more seriously - has anyone ever seen anyone use those big jumps? How often do they get used? I assume they cost lots to build.

There is one of those jumps in my town and it gets used a lot, Nights esp when the kids get home from school and even in summer. The first time I saw jumping I was taking a walk and heard some anouncements and headed over to see these people jumping this huge thing with water sprayed on it and it was like September. Ive got a lot of respect for anyone that does ski jumping

As far as jumping on a snowboard, I think the best way to build up your confidence would be to, as jared says, practice on the flat. just lean back on your tail and then release, while at the same time, jumping.

when you can jump, while moving on the flat, next jump off a roller (a hump-shaped piece of terrain, available on most courses) it's the exact same thing, just jump off the highest point.

then you are ready to hit small jumps, and i recommend leaning slightly back. you always want to land on your tail.

so you ARE (seriously) suppose to land on your tail?,... ok will give that a try.

thanks all for the suggestions. keep them coming!!

If I live to tell my success story, you guys would be the first to hear about it. Thats if I dont bust my spine so that it pops out from my ass \:D :p :p

You might wanna invest in a helmet if you don't already have one and some kinda back protection.

I always ski with my Dianese turtle back on. Has plastic padded elbows which help sometimes too.

just thought i would add something with the "ollie" thing. by ollie i mean, lifting your front foot first and kinda boosting off your tail, springing off it even. some boards (like freeride and free style) are better for this. you will be able to get more heigth this way, instead of just jumping with two feet at the same time. i dont know if that explanation was needed, but thought i would clear it up anyway! \:D

try landing on your tail, yes, but i lean back too much i tihnk, which ends up with me putting my arm/s back to support my landing which ended up in me hrting my elbow/s a bit. so try not to lean back, but juct land on the bakc part of your board. hmmmm, i hope that makes sense!!!!

cheers

Tomorrow, look for a flash of light has I penetrate the atmosphere over Nozawa Onsen. It should be visible from the top half of the Southern Hemisphere, especially thanks to the ollie tip. With the spring from my enormous 169 board, I should hit terminal velocity within seconds. Set your cameras to automatic shooting, and let's hope your batteries are warm.

... must remember to do up my chinstrap. Been forgetting a bit lately...

Puddles 11 dribbled here

"Tomorrow, look for a flash of light has I penetrate the atmosphere over Nozawa Onsen. It should be visible from the top half of the Southern Hemisphere, especially thanks to the ollie tip. With the spring from my enormous 169 board, I should hit terminal velocity within seconds. Set your cameras to automatic shooting, and let's hope your batteries are warm" bsmeter.gif

Nice one Puddles nice one......

This is what I saw when I was at Niseko about 3 weeks ago: Annupri...only 1 medium sized kicker that messed up my right knee(which is still aching a bit). The landing area was too icy and flat. My friend and I mentioned that to one of the instructors and we saw him talking to one of the staff so maybe they`ve modified the landing area but be careful. Higashiyama...nil. Gotta wait til late March for their board park to open. Hirafu...down at Kogen side they had 2 or 3 kickers, all pretty big if I remember correctly. Over at Hanazono toward the bottom there was one scary looking medium-sized kicker. The landing was WAY steep and icy. Their setup could all have been changed but that`s what I ran into.

Did some good jumps and some not so good jumps today. I followed the advice offered here, and found it to be relevant. Cheers!

No flash of light, sorry "mountain goat". (BTW, after jumping into a horrible pile of ice blocks thoughtfully dumped on an official course, my friends started announcing that it's possible to see satellites with the naked eye. Is that really true?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
that it's possible to see satellites with the naked eye. Is that really true?)
Yep, you can. They look like stars, buy they move ever so slowly across the sky. They are hard to see, but it can be done. You might need to ditch the "Harry Potter" glasses and get something stronger out Ocean. :p

Good to hear that you had some good jumps too!