Myself and a mate are hitting Hakuba in January for 10 days.

what are peoples recommendations for hakuba restaurants/izakayas etc?

Is there a good Okonomyaki place anywhere near Hakuba?

• SnowJapan Admin

Sorry folks, but if you actually do have recommendations, then please do just that - recommend them!

But please don't just post links to other websites. I'm sure that swillo-san can find lists etc by just using google or another search engine if he/she really wants to.

Thanks.

(Have fun swillo!)

:friend:

Damn, if I can't post a link to my website, I'm just not going (to be able to) 'help' (myself) !

;)

----

That Uncle Steven place was great when I went. Definitely worth a go, and right in the middle of the gondola Happo area too.

Don't know about okonomiyaki. It's not my konomi. ;)

One night when we were there we went into the big place near Mominoki hotel that has loud music going on - very uninspiring food, and I felt like I was in Aussie. I think there were about 2 other Japanese people in there apart from my g/f.

Cool if you want to come to Japan to be in the middle of that lot I suppose, but definitely not my bag.

My favorite Chinese place in Hakuba or anywhere else for that matter.....is called Hakuba Hanten. It's a little joint on the road going up after the turnoff from Route 148 but before Olympic Drive. You'll need a reservation on weekends but prices aren't too bad and the food is great.

Don't know about okonomiyaki. It's not my konomi. ;)

One night when we were there we went into the big place near Mominoki hotel that has loud music going on - very uninspiring food, and I felt like I was in Aussie. I think there were about 2 other Japanese people in there apart from my g/f.

Cool if you want to come to Japan to be in the middle of that lot I suppose, but definitely not my bag.

Totally agree, worst choice for a meal when we went.

My favorite Chinese place in Hakuba or anywhere else for that matter.....is called Hakuba Hanten. It's a little joint on the road going up after the turnoff from Route 148 but before Olympic Drive. You'll need a reservation on weekends but prices aren't too bad and the food is great.

Yes, we liked that too.

Sadly I think the McDonalds has closed. A blow, I know, but I'm sure there are other places.

Other than that, I don't know as I am almost always a day trip if I go there. I usually eat in Nagano city.

Pizzakaya is good but I cant stand being in that place when someone is smoking, it just doesnt vent and is small.

Gravity Worx is good.

Zen is about the best example of Nagano fresh soba and tempura

Nonjae if you want fast izakaya food at a good price

Sounds like Cafe in Echoland for good coffee and sandwiches. My fav place for lunch awesome fresh made sandwiches.

AK burger on the way to Happo

La Neige for an expensive date night 5 course plus meal

Korean BBQ above master blaster in Echoland

Korean BBQ accross from H plus between the station and Happo

Aslo the chinese place is right there.

TexMex uncle stevens in Happo.

The unagi place in Happo

GU in lower goryu below the train tracks for cheap steaks.

Shinshu dining in echoland for veagens and well local dishes.

Taco Taco for slower mex and less grease than tex mex.

The sumo joint in echoland 1f of the old engish looking house.

Sanno for nice wagu steaks beside echoland no YU

Izakaya Hei for the best Izakaya in town the pari pari potato salad is awesome if not messy.

MAster braster for jerk chicken.

Kikoya the best place for sushi in town

Also the log house at Garden no yu has good fresh fish for sashimi and sushi plus great katsudon

Pretty much everything I have listed off are all local places open year round. Also all are

owned by Japanese living in town full time. So weather or not you want J flare there are at

least J owned.

What were you doing up there this time of year Mick?

Just a couple of days of R&R in the mountains before I restart work, plus I love seeing ski-jos in the summer. Took lots of photos, cheesy ones included (of course), so will post these later! :D

Pizzakaya is good but I cant stand being in that place when someone is smoking, it just doesnt vent and is small.

Gravity Worx is good.

Zen is about the best example of Nagano fresh soba and tempura

Nonjae if you want fast izakaya food at a good price

Sounds like Cafe in Echoland for good coffee and sandwiches. My fav place for lunch awesome fresh made sandwiches.

AK burger on the way to Happo

La Neige for an expensive date night 5 course plus meal

Korean BBQ above master blaster in Echoland

Korean BBQ accross from H plus between the station and Happo

Aslo the chinese place is right there.

TexMex uncle stevens in Happo.

The unagi place in Happo

GU in lower goryu below the train tracks for cheap steaks.

Shinshu dining in echoland for veagens and well local dishes.

Taco Taco for slower mex and less grease than tex mex.

The sumo joint in echoland 1f of the old engish looking house.

Sanno for nice wagu steaks beside echoland no YU

Izakaya Hei for the best Izakaya in town the pari pari potato salad is awesome if not messy.

MAster braster for jerk chicken.

Kikoya the best place for sushi in town

Also the log house at Garden no yu has good fresh fish for sashimi and sushi plus great katsudon

Pretty much everything I have listed off are all local places open year round. Also all are

owned by Japanese living in town full time. So weather or not you want J flare there are at

least J owned.

That's some list!! Will have to try to work my way through some of those when i head back up there this winter!! :thumbsup:

and so to each his own. The slow service is sort of what they want. It is about enjoying the moment maybe or enjoying who you are with. I do respect the fact that you think different

Erm, I dont need to be told how to enjoy a meal or how enjoy time with my friends thank you very much! :confused:

I have been known to enjoy 'slow service', as you put it, but when we went there it was slower than slow and actually got to be quite irritating, especially not helped by the less than friendly attitude of the lady there. She seemed more interested in watching dvds and chatting to friends than looking after us. I doubt that is what any restaurant owner 'wants'. And as I said before, the food really wasn't special when it did come.

Anyway, enough on that, I was just passing on my personal experience of the place that is all. :lol: