Japan, Korea, China squabbles

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it goes back to around 1900. Some dude put a bonito processing plant on the island which eventually went backrupt but there was still a name in the books here in Japan. On the China side, the islands were included on a Ming dynasty map but they were never inhabited.

But they're considered part of the Ryukyu island chain which is under the domain of Okinawa. Of course Ryuku used to be distinct from any of the current players. Hell, I'll go out on a limb and say they're Japanese in as much as Okinawa is Japanese. China didn't give a crap until oil was discovered in 1968. Silly Chinese. Silly Ishihara, too. What a dumbass.

So the Chinese government was paying people the equivalent of 1200 yen/day to participate in the demonstrations?

Were I a Japanese company, I'd have to think real hard about rebuilding any burned-out factories or store fronts there...

So the Chinese government was paying people the equivalent of 1200 yen/day to participate in the demonstrations?

Is that actually true?

That was what was reported on the news last night. They showed some phone text messages that had been sent to that effect.

Not proof positive, of course, but I would not be surprised. There was something not-exactly-organic about those protests. Everybody carrying identical banners, professionally printed in the same font, on the same material. Not at all like the handmade placards carried by the anti-nuke demonstrators in Tokyo, for example. Just looked kind of staged -- a Two Minutes Hate kind of thing.

But what do I know.

Add Taiwan to the title!

I must say though all those little boats moving around slowly doesn't make for good telly does it. They can't turn quickly. Not very exciting. Fighter planes would be much more fun to watch and provide more excitement all round.

I only have two words regarding the little fishing boats.............

..........................Predator Drones.... :party:

Crikey, that would start an all out war.

Unless those drones were Chinese made. ;)