grocery shoppong is my single biggest expense.

I've got 4 kids (one of whom just moved out two weeks ago) and one dong body building, so we average around $500 per week.

Hopefully the bill will come down a bit now no. 1 has moved out

Be interesting to see how much the same shopping list would cost in different parts of the world

I eat a LOT of fruits and veggies. My wife usually does all the shopping so I don't see the big hit it is every time the fridge gets loaded up. She and my daughter are still in Canada for another week and I've been doing the shopping....DAMN!! I wince when I go into the produce section.

There's a JA distribution center in my area and I feel like going in there and going "postal" sometimes. What a racket they've got going!!

We normally go to Costco on the way back from Narita. The general just-got-off-a-longhaul-judgement-clouding knackeredness and awaiting empty fridge mean we tend to go a bit mental. Makuhari on the way out to Chiba also seems to be the biggest Costco in Japan.

Some of their best sellers, like the American-sized things of washing detergent that every single Japanese woman in Costco seemed to buy five years ago, can be bought elsewhere now, but there's still plenty of goodness. If you like Asian food or cocktails (or homemade bbq sauce :yummy: ), they'll give you seven or eight limes in a bag for 300 yen. Two or three of them and you've pretty much made up for the membership fee. I guess the same applies if you eat a lot of cheese. That box of own-brand microbrews they do for 150 yen a bottle also gets the :thumbsup: .

There's a Costco in Haydock not too far from Wigan back in England.

I usually go once to stock up on some supplies to bring back to Japan, and did last week.

:)

Not been to one here yet.

We went to Costco last saturday actually, only intended to have a look and maybe buy the odd thing, as we had not been to Costco for about 5 years. We ended up munching down hot dogs, an 18 inch pizza too much coke, and that was after we had sampled the different foods. Of course all this was after we had spent 20,000yen on various food items and things that we can't find in our local super markets!

I do miss that kind of shopping, when ever I go back to the UK, I have such a great time buying and eating all the stuff that is sadly lacking here!

Don't we all.

Sounds dangerous that place. As someone else said, I kind of like keeping some things 'special' for when I go back to my home town. Many of them have gone now with the availability of lots of things, good to keep a few treats.

I have never been to a Costco, they sound very tempting places.

I have pretty good shops where I am though and can get most things I want.

Like others said, I think it would spoil my trips back home/home if I could get absolutely everything here.

Need some treats!

even the supermarkets in Bali had a million more choices than supermarkets here

With added dysentery, norovirus and e-coli for your eating pleasure. ;)

funny you should say that, I had uber Dehli-Belly on the 2nd last day!!