So, on friday i leave my little spot in konosu for good. Im off to stay at a mates house in shinjuku for a couple of days and then off to stay at another mates house in Hamamatsu.

I figured that since time isnt really an issue, (though i should be there by the tenth) i should have a pop at cycling it.

But truth is i dont have any real experience at these kind of distances. I think the first 55 clicks to shinjuku will tell me a lot more about the situation than this thread, but just wondering if any of you guys have advice about the ride, as well as some obvious detours i might consider...

So far was looking at popping towards hiratsuka as step 1, then step 2 to the bottom of the lake at mt hakone for a fuji view, then off to fuji city (or yaizu if im feeling good), then come past hamaoka (okaezawa) and ride the last step towards hamamatsu (and have a bit of a swim somewhere). Sound like a plan? I was thinking about 50km/day and having a wee camp by the sea. But if its kinda boring or im feeling up for it, maybe pushing for a tonne once or twice.

High tides are going to be nicely timed to set up a camp (around 6-8pm throughout the cycle days), so shouldnt really get caught out by that at least. No typhoons on the radar. A bit of rain on monday around that middle bit but otherwise decent conditions...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good, I too enjoy long distance cycling.

One of yor biggest concerns wil be dehydration, so drinkig a lot of water or tea olong the way is a must. No juice unless its 100% as the sugar in juices drinks will leave you wanting to drink more.

50k in a day if its flat terrain would be easily doable in a couple of hours but mountain terrain will be much harder.

Pace yourself take breaks if you start to feel tired as the heat can quickly get to you wihor you realising.

Oh hough it may be tempting to ride in only shorts and t-shirt cover up, especially your head wear a hat it will actually keep you cooler, that is from expereince as I work outside in his heat.

Plan your stop points or rest places, somewhere that you can retire for the day should you

decide you cant go on anymore, otherwise you may be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Other than that have fun!!!

thanks dudes. Well actually the main plan is to end up in nagano to be honest.

Stage 1 is a mates in shinjuku, (for 2 days)

Stage 2 is a mates in hamamatsu (for about a week)

Stage 3 is another mates in kani city (hopefully for around a week).

Stage 4 is um... complex...

But somewhere between and during stage 2 and 3 i hope ill have an actual job that i can cycle to in nagano.

So assuming that (big freaking assumption)... then stage 4 is kani - nagano over a few days arriving just in time to start work a couple of days later...

So thats the plan. Save money on rent and travel...

Though subconscious, theres a scottish reason behind all this.

i was a vegetarian for 18 years before my first time in japan. And i tell you this now, the only food i have ever felt guilty eating in the last 6 years has been crab. I put this down to being a cancerian. Its sooooo yummy, but i always feel like a real asshole when i eat it for some reason. No kani for me is what im saying :)

:lol:

You don't really believe in all the 'coz, I'm a cancerian' stuff.... shurly?!

;)

The world is a mysterious and wonderful place. I dont believe in any astrology. But i should add im an INTP so of course i dont! Still, i like to pretend to... if only to keep the absurdities of fate close to my heart. Plus im a wood rabbit so im naturally drawn to romanticizing everything. :p

according to google maps...

konosu to shinjuku = 55km

Shinjuku to hama via the route im going = 250km

Hamamatsu to Kani i think was about 140km

Today i learned an important thing about bike riding: cyclists have god damned pads in their pants!

I thought they just had nice fitting spandex. Turns out theres also a massive crotch pad in there too! Whee, guess im gonna have to blow my budget and get me some!

Today i learned an important thing about bike riding: cyclists have god damned pads in their pants!

I thought they just had nice fitting spandex. Turns out theres also a massive crotch pad in there too! Whee, guess im gonna have to blow my budget and get me some!

I think some put some padding on the front as well to make it look like they have particularly big willies.

Sounds like a great plan ippster! Keep yourself hydrated, wear a hat and lots of sun cream, but ditch whatever sensible bike (or padding) you're planning on using and ride a bmx! :thumbsup: Where's my picture, pie-eater!?

Sounds great, ippy.

Remeber to snatch drinks off people as you ride by, take a swig, and chuck it to the side of the road to look like a legit racer.

That and your padded bottom and camel toe will look super!

;)

have fun