For the first few weeks there was nothing.....just a bunch of Africans dying, then some white people got it and all of a sudden they had an "experimental" vaccine that was found to be pretty effective but not a proven cure and not enough doses to fully help west Africa.....funny that

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hippo's are very dangerous in Australia.   They are usually a mere annoyance to be avoided, but once they get behind the wheel of a Pajero or Prado.................

I admit to getting cynical about certain things, like official excuses for getting into yet another war, declared or undeclared.

Other things I get gooey and mushy and earnest about, like disaster recovery.

Ebola, though, not sure what to think. Objectively it seems pretty bad: 3 week incubation period, with initial symptoms that don't look that remarkable, so hard to contain, with high fatality rate (unlike Dengue, say, which always seemed like a non-issue to me). Also, we've been waiting for this particular virus to become a big problem for over 20 years now. Has its time finally come? No idea. Not worrying yet, but wouldn't really be surprised if it does become an issue, either.

This outbreak has killed more than all previous outbreaks combined but it's still only a few thousand people in around 6 months. More people die in Africa every day from AIDS. In the same amount of time that this Ebola outbreak has been going there will have been over quarter of a million people in Africa die from Malaria. I only mention these sorts of figures to keep some perspective on how few people are dying from Ebola compared o other diseases on that continent. Ebola really is one of their lesser concerns I'd think. I guess the real worry is that the more contact this virus has with humans the more chance it could mutate into something that is far more contagious. Luckily it doesn't spread very easily at the moment.

Well, being pedantic but no one actually dies of AIDS, they die of secondary infections. The HIV virus only affects the immune system, the patient remains alive....it's the other bugs that actually kill the sufferers

Hippo's are very dangerous in Australia.

They are usually a mere annoyance to be avoided, but once they get behind the wheel of a Pajero or Prado.................

• Like 1

This outbreak has killed more than all previous outbreaks combined but it's still only a few thousand people in around 6 months. More people die in Africa every day from AIDS. In the same amount of time that this Ebola outbreak has been going there will have been over quarter of a million people in Africa die from Malaria. I only mention these sorts of figures to keep some perspective on how few people are dying from Ebola compared o other diseases on that continent. Ebola really is one of their lesser concerns I'd think. I guess the real worry is that the more contact this virus has with humans the more chance it could mutate into something that is far more contagious. Luckily it doesn't spread very easily at the moment.

AIDS, Malaria and hippo attacks have all reached steady-state incidence rates though, haven't they? This new strain of Ebola is still in the early, exponential growth stage. The key, I imagine, will be at what point it begins to slow down. If that is soon, then it will not become a big problem.

Well currently around 4 times as many people die in car accidents each and every day just in South Africa alone than are dying from Ebola on the entire continent. Got quite a ways to go before it's a big problem I'd think.

Well currently around 4 times as many people die in car accidents each and every day just in South Africa alone than are dying from Ebola on the entire continent. Got quite a ways to go before it's a big problem I'd think.

Again, though, car accidents probably occur at a relatively steady rate, no?

So not a comparable issue.