Is Niseko/Hakuba/Nozawa/etc just a bit predictable?

Yeah I know who cares?

But

I was discussing this with a few friends of mine who plan to join me on a first visit to Japan.

I think we are all the type of people who actually enjoy having a bit of a challenge with a destination, rather than plopping down in an English-speaking environment.

It just seems more fun doing things that way, especially with a country so different from our own as Japan.

Going to enjoy skiing as a big part of the trip of course, but it's not JUST about that.

:cheers:

It might be somewhat predictable but as you say.. who cares.

If you want to avoid English though there are plenty of places and you're in the right place to find out about them as well.

Just roll on with the questions!

We always stay in Japanese-owned places and the relative lack of English is always a treat.

Without exception the places we have stayed in have been extremely friendly and I couldn't recommend it more if that's what you are looking for.

:)

Predictable maybe but they're popular for a good reason. That said there are shedloads more places to go to. If there's a group of you, I'd recommend clubbing together and renting a car or van, as that'll enable you to get off the beaten track and away from the English-speakers - just remember to take your phrasebook! ;)

go to kyoto or nara for culture. For the skiing, unless youre seriously bored already with the big names, why not go and enjoy them?

go to kyoto or nara for culture. For the skiing, unless youre seriously bored already with the big names, why not go and enjoy them?

Completely agree. Although I'd say go to Kyoto and Nara. They're pretty close to each other ;)

But if you specifically want to avoid English, then perhaps lesser names are the way to go.

Much as I am all for the cultural experience, why (unless you had good conversational Japanese and were trying to improve it even more) would you specifically want to avoid English? Other than to come home and tell all the people who went where English was common that your holiday was gnarlier than thiers...nay...thiers was a holiday and yours was an expedition! ;)

I would dearly love to explore the smaller lesser frequented skijo's across Japan, especially now that I have ticked off the bigger, more well known ones. But that is not about avoiding English, or avoiding Aussies, or any other negative focus. That's about getting out and having an explore - trying to find a new gem, and building memories. There is a great big world out there with thousands of places to ski - some people like to go back to the same place every trip, the familiarity for them increases thier enjoyment. Others like to go somewhere new, and gain more enjoyment from that...most of us sit somewhere in the middle.

Why would we want to avoid english?

It's not avoid English at all costs, more.... Would prefer to be in a Japanese environment.

Why? I'm not sure how to answer that other than... Because that is what we want to do. Fine if you don't!

And got nothing to do with what other people might think. I go on my holidays for me, not someone else.

Why would we want to avoid english?

It's not avoid English at all costs, more.... Would prefer to be in a Japanese environment.

Why? I'm not sure how to answer that other than... Because that is what we want to do. Fine if you don't!

And got nothing to do with what other people might think. I go on my holidays for me, not someone else.

Not pointed directly at you...please don't take offense.

This is a topic discussed numerous times over the years here.

The English thing was in response to Mina2's statement. (which was probably in response to you saying you didn't want to be plonked in an English speaking environment.)

I agree with you.

I go for me. Whether it is the hot new fave, a backwater unknown, or expensive snow made Aussie skiing - I am in! Not really buying into the 'why would you go there' thing at all.

If your friends have never been to Japan before at all... Then one of the bigger resorts may well be enough of a cultural explosion for them. Not likely to dine out on raw horse sashimi at too many places outside of Japan, for me it was Hakuba...and no, the people at the Izakaya did not speak English.

What about mixing it up a bit.

Few days in a larger resort, few days off the beaten track?

What kind of person goes and spends a ton on a holiday just to be able to brag about it? :confused:

Or am I just getting older? ;)

You would be surprised! Mostly unconsciously jumping on the 'cool trend, must do' bandwagon, but I've known people who go on vacation to places they don't really enjoy for a variety of reasons.

Life's too short for that!! I reckon follow your heart...if that is the big ski resorts, then that is grand. If it is off the beaten path...also grand.

There is so much diversity out there - in what's on offer, and in what people like.

And its all good.

I think the point I was trying to make in relation to the original post was....who cares what other people think, predictable can be awesome - so can 'new and exciting'. It is what you make of it, and the opinions of others will not change your personal enjoyment factor.

I know what you are saying, but I stand by my comment.

I know a few people who have visited and actually regretted going to 'the big names' due to them at times thinking they were not in Japan.

At the same time, I know of one guy who did a bit more of an adventure last season after doing Hakuba the year before, and he absolutely loved the decision.

Just depends on what you want doesn't it.

It's all good people...

I snowboarded yesterday...

I shall snowboard today...

I shall snowboard next week, and the next...

Deep pow, crowds , crud, ice, burgers or sashimi, gluwhein or Asahi.

It matters not,

(btw...I am hammered ignore what I say)

• Like 1