Despicable newspapers of the world

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moderately amusing. More annoying.  And if one of these goons doesn't have the cajones to let the homosexual folk marry each other if they want to, then I think my head is going to implode.

Yes, a mate of mine is FIFO (fly in fly out) in a remote WA mine - lives in country NSW. Drives to Canberra Airport in ACT (4hrs), flys Canberra to Perth (another 4+ hours plus check in, waiting etc), then back into the Qantas Club to wait for the smaller regional flight to get him within an hour or so of his mine. Then underground for a few weeks and repeat the journey in reverse.

It's all well and good while there is high demand for workers, but once some of these mines are expired, or the expansion phases complete and just skeleton crew required to remain - what jobs will these guys go back in to. Not ones in thier local hometowns, that's for sure. There aren't many!

Meanwhile every time I fly out of Perth (coz I live here) I struggle to get a seat at the airport or in the lounge because there are SO MANY hi-vis jackets and steel capped boots in the airport it is ridiculous. How do you cope with a surge that is destined to last just a few years? Build new infrastructure that by the time it is done is not required?

The issue that I think JA and others are trying to highlight is that it seems like none of the politicians are concerned with the future past the next election, which I suppose makes sense if you are a politician, you would want to do everything you can to get re-elected. There does not seem to be a coherent plan from any of the political parties at either a state or federal level as far as how to maintain a low unemployment rate when the resources sector slows down, which sooner or later it will. It is this critical lack of foresight that concerns me.

Total lack of vision!

The current labour government would love to lay claim to the countries overall position. Low unemployment, low interest rates etc. but it's actually due to all the fat, capitalist, right wing mining magnates (yes, they are all literally fat).

One of life amazing coincidences is that all these mining magnates just happen to be climate change skeptics. Hence their attempts to dominate the media with hand picked Journalists supporting their view.

The issue that I think JA and others are trying to highlight is that it seems like none of the politicians are concerned with the future past the next election, which I suppose makes sense if you are a politician, you would want to do everything you can to get re-elected. There does not seem to be a coherent plan from any of the political parties at either a state or federal level as far as how to maintain a low unemployment rate when the resources sector slows down, which sooner or later it will. It is this critical lack of foresight that concerns me.

Total lack of vision!

The current labour government would love to lay claim to the countries overall position. Low unemployment, low interest rates etc. but it's actually due to all the fat, capitalist, right wing mining magnates (yes, they are all literally fat).

One of life's amazing coincidences is that all these mining magnates just happen to be climate change skeptics. Hence their attempts to dominate the media with hand picked Journalists supporting their view.

Not the lack of foresight - more the lack of concern for anything but the next election is my concern!

And I am NOT pointing the finger at one particular political party, they are ALL the same!

And the mines were not "just invented", they have just been massively expanded of late because the mine owners all know that there is a huge carbon price coming (especially in China, as I am told) and they want to get as much of the stuff out of the ground as they possibly can before that happens, because they will have to stop once the CP comes into effect.

Problem here is that each mine site is set up as an individual company, so when the site is worked out, the company goes broke (and thus does not have to rehabilitate the site) and the workers are not entitled to the "normal" termination payouts.