I find this quite disturbing.

Then again I think animals are more than just, er, 'useless' as discussed elsewhere in recent weeks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Fp7flAWMA

He found out that 94 percent of drivers did what anyone in their sane mind would do: keep driving on their lane. Remember that the animals were on the road's shoulder, way outside their driving path. They didn't pose any danger whatsoever to the drivers' safety.

On the other hand, six percent went out of the driving lane to run over the animals. Think about that: sixty out of one thousand drivers actually went out of their way to kill a living thing that didn't represent any danger to their lives—and risking their own lives in the process, no less. Six percent were just cruel because they could be. For their own sadistic pleasure, I can only imagine.

Mark says that "one thing that might explain the higher numbers here—in case people question my methods—is that I used a tarantula." Apparently, people seemed pretty eager about hitting a spider. "If you take that out it goes to 2.8% which is closer to the other turtle vs. snake studies I ended up finding."

Snakes, I'll go out of my way to get one (safety considered, of course!)

Rabbits, hares and foxes are in my sights, too!

Turtles, I'll try to avoid. In fact, if safe, I'll stop and relocate them in the direction they are heading.

Do you do that to poor animals, Chriselle?

According to Curt I do. ;)

No way.... I feel the karma even when bugs hit my window. :lol:

I hit a cat last winter and I was only doing about 15 km/h. The damned thing ran right under my tire and I crushed his entire hind end. He ran away with his rear legs flopping around behind him. :(

Oh Chriselle, that is awful

Similar thing happened to a kitten we had acquired about a week beforehand.

We went out for our anniversary and when my SIL was leaving after babysitting for us, she backed over it and injured it in that way.

I assumed it was a goner, but searched it out and took it to the vet.

My instructions were, 'I assume the injuries will be severe; if so, just put her down. However if I am mistaken and she will be ok, then go ahead and treat her'. At the time we were living pay packet to pay packet.

Blasted vet stuck her on a drip and tried to 'save' a cat with a severed spinal cord and two crushed hips - it took me 24hrs to force the facts out of him, at which time I told him to put her down. He then sent me the bill for $3500 AUD.

No.

I got the cost of euthanasia, cost of an hour of the vets times, and the cost of one bag of saline. Added it together and paid that amount with a covering letter stating that under the circumstances that was all that could reasonably be expected of me, that chasing more money was futile as we didn't have it, and threatening to engage lawyers to fight any further claim.

I think it was about $300 at the time.

Vets get put into the same category as car dealers with me.

Always feel like they are just ripping you a new bottom without being able to know if they really are or not.

Fairly, or unfairly!

What do you have against the rabbits and hares, JA?

They's feral pests, is what! Folklore around here is that for every rabbit you see, there are 10-20 that you don't.

Rabbits have a very rapid reproductive rate. The breeding season for most rabbits lasts 9 months, in Australia and New Zealand late July to late January. Normal gestation is about 30 days. The average size of the litter varies but is usually between 4 and 12 babies. A kit (baby rabbit) can be weaned at about 4 to 5 weeks of age. This means in one season a single female rabbit can produce as many as 800 children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. A doe is ready to breed at about 6 months of age, and a buck at about 7 months.

Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.

At 10 to 11 days after birth the baby rabbits' eyes open and they start eating on their own at around 14 days old.

The expected rabbit lifespan is about 9–12 years.

from Wikipedia

They eat the bark off the olive trees and "ringbark" them - ie they take the bark and cambium layer from around the entire trunk, stopping the growth of the tree, and the flow of nutrients to the branches and leaves.

Right little buggers they are, If the mongrels who brought them here for "sport" weren't long dead, I'd be tempted to give them a nudge in that direction.

Same goes for foxes (also brought here by stupid poms who thought they'd be good for a spot of hunting!) - There used to be a bounty for every fox tail that was brought in, dunno what happened to that, but we have a large number around here.

I can't believe you lot.

I want to kill a few man eating sharks and everyone hates me but you can go and kill beutiful fluffy bunnys because they shag more :angry:

Evil people

Seemore

I can't believe you lot.

I want to kill a few man eating sharks and everyone hates me but you can go and kill beutiful fluffy bunnys because they shag more :angry:

Evil people

Seemore

FFS, seemore! The sharks are in THIER OWN ELEMENT! Rabbits are a feral pest, introduced to Oz for the "sport" of a few English 'gentlemen'.

Absolutely NO comparison. What damage do sharks do to the natural environment of Orstraylya? Bugger all, is what! They actually belong here! Rabbits do not!

Could not GAF about their shagging habits, except that they produce a shirtload more babies to desecrate the countryside than sharks do!

Great white shark females do not reproduce before reaching 4.5 – 5.0 m in length, and have a relatively small litter of around two to fourteen pups. It is thought that they do not reproduce every year, and that their gestation time is longer than 12 months. All these reproductive characteristics make them highly vulnerable to exploitation.
From http://www.tiburonblanco.org/