• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, if you break life down into it's simplest parts, it's all about passing on your DNA.

I'm interested in this "as a species we are favouring those who have a strong urge to have kids"?   What does that mean? Who is favouring those, and in what way? You mean things like tax breaks an

One other thing to consider: If Australia still wants to assert the position that whales should not be killed for scientific research, and expect any other country or international body to take their

If a lion had killed 1 person guaranteed it wouldn't be living now. They would say it had a taste of human meat and would have to be put down.

seemore

In their own wild habitat?

Don't be ridiculous.

Elephants are rubbish too, are just fat and lumbering bit things and really have no worth.

Off with their heads!

If a lion had killed 1 person guaranteed it wouldn't be living now. They would say it had a taste of human meat and would have to be put down.

seemore

In their own wild habitat?

Don't be ridiculous.

Fact

A look back in the history books is a good idea, as often it is.

As well documented in "Jaws", a shark terrorises beachgoers on Amity Island. (It might have been more than one shark, that is not established).

Of course, they got some folks to go and kill the shark, and a jolly interesting yarn it turned out to be. If not worrying for the local folk.

But as documented in Jaws 2 and the other movies, there were more sharks.

Those things just kept on coming back, and in Jaws 3D one shark even came back for revenge!

So I would say that killing a shark or two will not get rid of the problem.

I doubt the circumstances are exactly the same as in Amity Island, but we can surely learn from these things.

The SJ Jaws cast..........I'll be Quint.....you be Brody....... Hooper?? Seemore is obviously the naked chick who "bites it" in the opening scene.. :wave:

Trouble is, you'd be hard pressed to determine whether the shark that was killed was the "right" one - ie the one that took the latest surfer from the WA coast - since their territory is a couple thousand square km.

What if you killed one and checked stomach contents and there was np, zero, evidence that it had ingested human meat in the immediate past? Would you give it a second chance? (and HOW would you?)

Methinks time to exchange surfing for skiing.

If you kill of sharks, then you unbalance the ecosystem. The sharks main food source will then be left unchecked and who knows what would happen?

Unless that food source was cod. Then more cod the better.

Most people on this site probably aren't going to respond with much enthusiasm for killing sharks to protect ocean-goers as I doubt most on here ever even stick a toe in the ocean. Personally, if wild animals start preying on humans I think they should be killed, regardless of the habitat or the 'they were here first' argument. I know for sure what would happen here.

Most people on this site probably aren't going to respond with much enthusiasm for killing sharks to protect ocean-goers as I doubt most on here ever even stick a toe in the ocean.

Why's that then?

I surf.

Ah it's just Black Mountain coming in with his Police hat and one of his all-encompassingly pompous and sweeping (but gnarly of course) statements as he likes to do every once in a while. Always good for a laugh!

Got nothing to do with whether someone 'sticks their toe in the water' (is that scarasm, a put down, an insult?) or not.

Oh and not that it's relevant but I'm a pretty decent surfer myself. Very probably not as gnarly as Black Mountain, of course.

I don't support the killing of whales though.

Nope let's not kill sharks.

Five attacks in 12 months, while catastrophic for families involved, is still statistically low. Better policing, eg surfarthur's tagging idea, would work better. Sonars to ward sharks off the area too.

Sounds like a good way to go forward to me.

Lol. You guys are reading to much into what I said. I never said that surfers should / would be / are in favour of killing sharks. I also get the impression that not many people on a skiing / snow related forum would spend much time in the ocean. I certainly see very few posts on here that would indicate otherwise.

Most people on this site probably aren't going to respond with much enthusiasm for killing sharks to protect ocean-goers as I doubt most on here ever even stick a toe in the ocean. Personally, if wild animals start preying on humans I think they should be killed, regardless of the habitat or the 'they were here first' argument. I know for sure what would happen here.

So there are a couple of people on this who spend time enjoying the sea. I never said anything to the contrary...

Do you also know what percentage of the people on here enjoy painting?

Or perhaps riding horses?

Or cooking Chinese food?

No, of course you don't have the slightest idea.

Why would/could you.

Would you make baseless, meaningless assumptions about those things too?

I don't even know if you surf.

Do you also know what percentage of the people on here enjoy painting?

Or perhaps riding horses?

Or cooking Chinese food?

No, of course you don't have the slightest idea.

Why would/could you.

But I suppose you'd make baseless, meaningless assumptions about those things too.

I don't even know if you surf.

You don't even know if I surf or not? I find that very surprising since you think you know so much else about me. Sorry if I've said something you don't agree with but it hardly warrants your over the top reaction. The last time I checked I was entitled to my opinion.