• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, if you break life down into it's simplest parts, it's all about passing on your DNA.

I'm interested in this "as a species we are favouring those who have a strong urge to have kids"?   What does that mean? Who is favouring those, and in what way? You mean things like tax breaks an

One other thing to consider: If Australia still wants to assert the position that whales should not be killed for scientific research, and expect any other country or international body to take their

What an awful thing Mantas.

Every time I hear about another attack down there I worry a little more, I have a friend that moved to the area for her son to pursue a surfing career, he is out there every day.

I'm not a big 'kill the sharks' fan, but it does seem the attacks are increasing...

Maybe roll these out...

http://worldwidenews003.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/shark-repellent-wetsuits-launched.html

In fact maybe I should get my little mate one for Christmas...

_68808216_018676623-1.jpg

I think I would suport a very well controlled and researched shark cull.

Millions of sharks are killed every year for no other reason than to make a tasty soup and help some poor old Chinaman keep his pecka up. Culling a few rougue sharks to save human lives doesn't seem so radical in comparison

Millions of sharks are killed every year for no other reason than to make a tasty soup and help some poor old Chinaman keep his pecka up.

Yes they need to stop that too.

(Seriously though - millions?)

So they say. Google it. Some say over 270 million a year!

I wonder what people's attitude would be if bears killed 5 people in one year on the slopes on Nozawa. Blood and guts everywhere. Dont think there would be much talk of ' it's their territory, enter at your own risk'

I am not really in favor of a cull, but I am more and more on the fence on this issue now. On the one hand, the ocean is wilderness, and the sharks habitat. On the other hand, if killing 20 to 30 sharks would actually be all that is required as some people are suggesting, then I don't really see the harm in it.

What keeps tipping me back towards not culling the sharks, is the fact that there is no scientific evidence to suggest that this will impact on the situation on the WA coast, particularly as we still don't really have a clear picture on the migration habits of great white sharks. We do know that they travel great distances, with one tagged shark having been recorded swimming from South Africa to NW Australia and back (20,000 km) in less than 9 months.

I also think if we were talking about culling any other animal on the endangered species list, well, I just don't believe that we would be talking about it.

I am seriously considering one of those wetsuits that mamabear posted about though.

surfarthur,

What is the cost of a regular wettie?

I looked those ones up and they were a bit exxy. No drama if you are a surfer and want to keep safe I suppose, but a bit out of my price range for a Chrissy pressie for a friend.

For a standard steamer the price (depending on quality/label) varies from around $200 AUD to $500 AUD. There actually is a big difference between different types of neoprene in terms of flexibility and that is largely what you are paying for, as well as the way that the seams are sealed. If you don't mind me asking, how much is the shark suit?

What's the price of an ABS backpack for back country?

Seems to me if you want to surf with the sharks, it's your responsibility to do what's needed for self-preservation.

I'd happily kill a shark I saw attacking a human -- even a snowboarder :D -- but killing one just to put its fin in some soup? That's disgusting.

oh totally agree.

I don't surf, never bought a wetsuit, so had no idea of approx. cost.

I should because both my brothers practically live at the beach...but its the smell of chlorine at 6am that suits me ;)

But at $400+ his mother can buy him one!

If it were me (or one of my cubs) in the sharkies environment I'd have one on order already!

It's a funny looking suit, but if it gives you that little edge...it'd be worth it.

There has been lots of gadgets made over the years to deter sharks. I reckon this is just another one. I'm pretty sure a diver in South Australia was taken whilst wearing some sort of shark deterrent device.

What are they gunna do if it doesn't work and you get chomped? Money back guarantee?

Also there's a lot of myths about shark behaviour i.e.. there's no sharks around while dolphins are present. This myth was well and truly busted when a local fisherman from here spotted a very large Great White with a dolphin in it's mouth! Tail hanging out one side, head the other! :omg:

Reports here in the East are that they "think" it was "probably" a Great White - so there's a posse out looking for "it".

Logically, how the hell do you know "it" when you don't even know for certain what type of animal "it" is? Or, do you just kill all the sharks you see just on the off chance that you've got the right one, perhaps!

Seems dumb to me!

Completely agree JA.

If you were 100% certain that you had the correct shark then fine, but I just don't see how that is possible.

Regarding the wetsuit, I wouldn't buy a wetsuit without trying it on. Each brand differ in fit. Also, being towards the upper end of the price scale, I would like to see that the neoprene is high quality and the construction is good. I haven't seen any of these wetsuits in any of the surf shops yet.

Seems dumb to me!

Maybe. It's more like they 'seem' to be doing something about it.

In regards to identifying the shark. They would have a reasonable idea of the size and species. Factors such as bite radius, jaw shape, eyewitness accounts of the attack (most surfers around that area can identify different sharks), species that inhabit that area, recent sightings (and there have been many) . It narrows it down considerably. Almost definitely a large White and there's not too many of them around that area.

I'd like to see more research into the effects of culling large Great White sharks on the local eco system and the food chain. If the impact proved to be minimal, then you would have to weigh it up against the safety of people wanting to enjoy the ocean. Two million people live in Perth. They have a basic right to feel safe when they go to the beach. It wouldn't be any different if it was bears killing people on the ski slopes.

Think I'm leaning towards KILL THE SHARKS !!

I just bought a really good fuseflex wetsuit from quicksilver website $220 (60% off) black in colour.

I doubt a shark would stop an attack if you were wearing a clown wetsuit I don't think there attacks are premeditated.

They just go for it.

I can't see a reason why Great Whites are are a protected species it's not as if there are a shortage of them.

Just kill the big ones