No, I don't know if you surf or not.

Am I supposed to know this for any particular reason?

....since you think you know so much else about me

What?! :lol:

I know almost nothing about you... where you get that crazy one from?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, if you break life down into it's simplest parts, it's all about passing on your DNA.

I'm interested in this "as a species we are favouring those who have a strong urge to have kids"?   What does that mean? Who is favouring those, and in what way? You mean things like tax breaks an

One other thing to consider: If Australia still wants to assert the position that whales should not be killed for scientific research, and expect any other country or international body to take their

For those who don't live in Aus you should realise that The Herald Sun is just another of Murdoch's tabloid rubbish papers that litter this and other countries. Reading it will lower your IQ significantly. I'd say seemore has been reading such crap far too much.

And this is why yetis no longer exist.

Skiers hunted them down after a yeti ate a skier for trespassing on its habitat.

:sj-lol:

And GN I don't read the newspapers I just googled shark attack and this was the 1st article that popped up, to tell you the truth i didn't even read it (2 many words).

How about we change the question .

If a 5M great white shark ate/ fataly injured someone and was hanging around the same spot where other humans were and we were positive it was the same shark would you kill the shark?

yes or no?

If it was a dog the dog would be dead. If it was a drop bear it would be dead. If it was a crocodile, snake, spider, nearly any other creature would be dead why not a white pointer.

Seemore

And this is why yetis no longer exist.

Skiers hunted them down after a yeti ate a skier for trespassing on its habitat.

:sj-lol:

And GN I don't read the newspapers I just googled shark attack and this was the 1st article that popped up, to tell you the truth i didn't even read it (2 many words).

How about we change the question .

If a 5M great white shark ate/ fataly injured someone and was hanging around the same spot where other humans were and we were positive it was the same shark would you kill the shark?

yes or no?

If it was a dog the dog would be dead. If it was a drop bear it would be dead. If it was a crocodile, snake, spider, nearly any other creature would be dead why not a white pointer.

Seemore

Most of what you're talking about there would be creatures encroaching into residential areas. Except maybe for crocs. Not sure what they do up in NT after a croc attack but considering they're almost as backward as those living in WA nothing would surprise me. With great whites we're talking about us encroaching on their territory, not the other way around. Personally I think they're doing us all a favour getting rid of a few more sandgropers.

Debate is good, having a chip on your shoulder because you are not living where you want to be is not. As is derogatory comments about large groups of people you have never met - even worse when it is your countrymen.

Let me recap - you googled an article, did not read it, but posted it here anyway.

?

:confused:

Just to give another opinion klingon.

As you well know if we had to read everything (I read some of it to make sure we were on the same page) that goes on the forums we would never get any work done.

I think we should kill the shark thats the question either answer it or don't do you have an opinion on the shark question or just one about whether I read an article or not :friend:

Seemore.

GN ok if it was a Kangaroo and it attacked your daughter in the bush would it be killed?

GN ok if it was a Kangaroo and it attacked your daughter in the bush would it be killed?

No. My daughter has been attacked by a roo. She wasn't bitten in half but did get a shock and cried. Good learning experience for her. There's been a couple of snakes at the nursery as well, an area that my daughter spends a lot of time in, and I haven't killed them. I usually catch them and move them to another part of the property.

The way I look at it is this. With regards to the sharks we are going into their environment, it's not them coming into ours. So if you choose to enter their environment you take that risk. It's not their fault that we make a good snack.

Just like those of us who ski in the backcountry take on the risk of avalanches or injury far from any help I can't see why you just can't accept that when you enter the ocean over there you take on the risk of getting eaten alive. As you probably know from previous discussions over the years I'm not an advocate of the nanny state. I like to decide for myself the risk levels I'm comfortable with for not only myself but also my daughter. I don't expect or want those in power to step in and impose a level of safety I don't need or want. And I think advocating killing these sharks is a nanny state sort of attitude. You want the state to step in and make the world a little safer for you. Personally I think you should just accept that the world isn't a safe place, the oceans aren't a safe place. If you can't accept that level of risk (which is still incredibly small) then go swim in a public pool or a lake where the big biteys can't get you. At the end of the day the most dangerous thing you'll probably ever do in your daily life is drive a car. Statistically you would be much more likely to die on the drive to a beach than whilst you're in the water.

even worse when it is your countrymen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The country itself isn't so bad snowjunky but the people, my god the people....let's just say I'm definitely not proud to be Australian.

No. My daughter has been attacked by a roo. She wasn't bitten in half but did get a shock and cried. Good learning experience for her. There's been a couple of snakes at the nursery as well, an area that my daughter spends a lot of time in, and I haven't killed them. I usually catch them and move them to another part of the property.

The way I look at it is this. With regards to the sharks we are going into their environment, it's not them coming into ours. So if you choose to enter their environment you take that risk. It's not their fault that we make a good snack.

Just like those of us who ski in the backcountry take on the risk of avalanches or injury far from any help I can't see why you just can't accept that when you enter the ocean over there you take on the risk of getting eaten alive. As you probably know from previous discussions over the years I'm not an advocate of the nanny state. I like to decide for myself the risk levels I'm comfortable with for not only myself but also my daughter. I don't expect or want those in power to step in and impose a level of safety I don't need or want. And I think advocating killing these sharks is a nanny state sort of attitude. You want the state to step in and make the world a little safer for you. Personally I think you should just accept that the world isn't a safe place, the oceans aren't a safe place. If you can't accept that level of risk (which is still incredibly small) then go swim in a public pool or a lake where the big biteys can't get you. At the end of the day the most dangerous thing you'll probably ever do in your daily life is drive a car. Statistically you would be much more likely to die on the drive to a beach than whilst you're in the water.

Cheers GN

Thats what we want a debate based on opinions.

I still think we should kill a few big sharks though.

I would also kill a snake although on my parents property they have a local tiger snake that they are fond of different strokes.

I don't have a problem being in the affirmative and if I get eaten next at least everyone can say they knew me.

I don't want people to say i died doing what I liked most though as I would want to continue doing it not get eaten.

Seemore

Look if it could be shown that a particular shark or two are constantly cruising popular beaches for little other purpose than some surfy snacks then I reckon there's a good case to have a very limited cull. Especially if it appears they have changed their natural migratory habits and behaviours and are specifically targeting us rather than their natural food sources. The real risk at the moment, especially with the state of the Aussie media which is so dominated by right wing crazies and shock jocks is that the equally right wing nutters in the gov over there will instigate a knee jerk reaction just to look like they are doing something. A reaction that will be detrimental to the sharks with little, if any benefit in the long run for safety.

I'm pretty much with GoNative on this.

What is it 5 cases in a year? Hardly something to get too alarmed at, though of course it is for those directly involved.

Knee jerk by jerks.

When people talk about killing animals for their own pleasure - which is essentially what this is - I often wish the animals would fight back and take a chunk out of one of them.

Can't see any reason why we can't kill off a few of them they don't really do anything.

Seemore

Don't know why but that comment made me laugh.

"They don't really do anything" :lol:

Can't see any reason why we can't kill off a few of them they don't really do anything.

Seemore

Don't know why but that comment made me laugh.

"They don't really do anything" :lol:

I was hoping that one would get a laugh it's the only reason I said it :)

Yeah on the one hand they're chomping down on a few surfers in WA and need to be killed for it but on the other they don't really do anything. Work that one out! :sj-lol:

When you read some of the comments on the online articles about the shark attack, it is clear that emotions are running high. Not really suprising is it?

The emotional side of my brain is saying to kill the sharks, make the water safer for me and other water users.

When I take the emotion out of it and think about it rationally, I have not found any evidence that killing a few sharks will make the ocean safer.

If someone can show me the evidence that it would genuinely increase safety in the ocean without causing damage to the ecosystem, then I will happily support a cull.

As it is, we know so little about these animals, so the first step has to be more research into the behaviour of the sharks.

Geeze, seemore, that's a bit dumb!

"They don't really do anything" - are you certain? care to do a bit of research?

For a start, they are the top of the food chain in the ocean. They are, therefore, a bit important in keeping the rest of the place in balance.

What you said is like saying that the Lion "doesn't do very much" except fornicate and eat!