Hi everyone

Is it time we started to kill a few big sharks?

Namely the 4-5 Metre Great White/s that has been eating people in Western Australia.

5 fatal attacks in less than 12 months all in places that are frequented by me in my pursuit for surfing and diving.

I think we should kill them.

Let the debate begin.

Seemore

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, if you break life down into it's simplest parts, it's all about passing on your DNA.

I'm interested in this "as a species we are favouring those who have a strong urge to have kids"?   What does that mean? Who is favouring those, and in what way? You mean things like tax breaks an

One other thing to consider: If Australia still wants to assert the position that whales should not be killed for scientific research, and expect any other country or international body to take their

Once you kill them, will you eat them. In a stew perhaps.

I suppose you could send the fins to the Chinese, I hear they like them.

But you'd probably be too busy surfing I suppose.

I want to kill sharks so they don't eat people namely me or anyone I know.

Yes they were here 1st but so were dinosaurs and they are dead and it has no effect on anyone.

I won't kill them (someone else can) but I am sure that the they can be made into food of some description.

I do like the penguin option although a fish bigger than the average car may just treat it as an appetiser.

seemore

Dinosaurs being dead has no effect on anyone?

You sure about that?

I hope the sharks eat more people. Too many anyway, especially surfing dudes.

It definitely kept me out of the water this weekend, but I don't think that killing sharks is the right answer.

I have no doubt that this is what is going to happen though.

1 positive out of this is that there will be more research into great whites in Australia, and Western Australia in general, to determine whether they should remain on the endangered species list.

A look back in the history books is a good idea, as often it is.

As well documented in "Jaws", a shark terrorises beachgoers on Amity Island. (It might have been more than one shark, that is not established).

Of course, they got some folks to go and kill the shark, and a jolly interesting yarn it turned out to be. If not worrying for the local folk.

But as documented in Jaws 2 and the other movies, there were more sharks.

Those things just kept on coming back, and in Jaws 3D one shark even came back for revenge!

So I would say that killing a shark or two will not get rid of the problem.

I doubt the circumstances are exactly the same as in Amity Island, but we can surely learn from these things.

It definitely kept me out of the water this weekend, but I don't think that killing sharks is the right answer.

1 positive out of this is that there will be more research into great whites in Australia, and Western Australia in general, to determine whether they should remain on the endangered species list.

The scary thing is that fisheries were watching that tagged 5M cruise up and down the coast for the past couple of weeks hopefully it wasn't that one.

seemore

Yes, I was surprised that no beaches were closed when that was happening. Surely when a tagged shark is cruising past sensors, the water police and surf lifesaving organisations should be notified and beaches closed?

My thoughts are going out to the guy's family and friends at the moment, I can't imagine what they are going through. Not much hope for them to have a body bury either.

Nope let's not kill sharks.

Five attacks in 12 months, while catastrophic for families involved, is still statistically low. Better policing, eg surfarthur's tagging idea, would work better. Sonars to ward sharks off the area too.

I really hope they do not go killing the sharks especially when it's apparently just for the pleasure of a few surfers. Nothing against surfers. Unless they're the kind who want sharks killed so they can surf.

Nope let's not kill sharks.

Five attacks in 12 months, while catastrophic for families involved, is still statistically low. Better policing, eg surfarthur's tagging idea, would work better. Sonars to ward sharks off the area too.

I think that it is a statistical anomaly, not a long term trend. In any case, there is not enough data to say either way.

Sensationalist journalism is doing its best to stir up emotion, good for ratings, not so good for rational debate backed up by scientific evidence.

It has really made me think about the conditions when I go surfing now though.

No more sunrise / sunset sessions, overcast days I will be staying out of the water too.

The scary thing is that fisheries were watching that tagged 5M cruise up and down the coast for the past couple of weeks hopefully it wasn't that one.

No, the scary thing is that some people apparently want sharks killed so they can surf.

No, the scary thing is that some people apparently want sharks killed so they can surf.

Not all sharks just big Great Whites

Can't see any reason why we can't kill off a few of them they don't really do anything.

Seemore

I think the great white's should be left alone...............................as long as they stay down the south west and don't come over Qld to where I dangle my toes. Their has been the odd GW sighted here but they don't appear as hungry

Lions are a bit rubbish as well aren't they, don't seem to do much at all. Big egos too. Kill them, I say! That'll teach them a lesson.

If a lion had killed 1 person guaranteed it wouldn't be living now. They would say it had a taste of human meat and would have to be put down.

seemore