• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Down at a pie shoppe  

Farewell to the Cotswolds. A truly beautiful region of England (especially when the sun shines and shows it at it's best).

154j3p5.jpg

That might be it.

Lots of pies were eater.

Lots of beer was drunk.

I was drunk a few times too.

Great holiday.

I might even post a few pretty scenery photos as well soon.

But not now. Got to make the most of the last day or so with the family.

:wave:

Since posting the pics just before I've had literally thousands of requests with people bugging me to post some scenery pics.

Sheesh! Oh well, go on then.

Here's one that pretty much sums up the Cotswolds in one image..... Arlington Row in the tiny village of Bibury. I believe it's actually in Gloucestershire.

333ftxz.jpg

Nice photos but give me pies over scenery any day of the week! :D

Back to Japan, I'm heading to the Thrash Zone in Yokohama this afternoon for the "Ruination IPA Festival" :cheers: Anyone been there before?

Since posting the pics just before I've had literally thousands of requests with people bugging me to post some scenery pics.

Sheesh! Oh well, go on then.

Here's one that pretty much sums up the Cotswolds in one image..... Arlington Row in the tiny village of Bibury. I believe it's actually in Gloucestershire.

333ftxz.jpg

Fab photo, looks like a great place. :thumbsup:

Pies and beer ain't bad too!

Easily more than 50%. Yes there were tons of Japanese people, I almost felt I was back in Japan if not for the typically English scenery!

They kept on coming in waves but the good thing is they only had 10 minutes before having to rush back to the coach to speed on to the next place.

It's kind of easy to see how they can look a bit comical with their rush tours and mass taking of photos of famous places........

There were Japanese in most of the popular Cotwolds places, but Bibury was definitely where we say by far the most.

Though as you can see, I managed to get a photo with no-one on it - so it wasn't that bad.

:friend:

I imagine it must feel a little surreal to be back in England and be surrounded by Japanese!

Here's a pic from yesterday's trip to the Thrash Zone in Yokohama...

Mick Rich_273.JPG

An interesting place with some good beer, though I'm feeling a little "jaded" this morning! :D

I went on one of them Japanese Cotswolds coach trips last year. Possibly the first gaijin to do so! That trip was with my in-laws and some of their mates, so it was an easy way to tick a box in the few days they were there.

The trip we went on was the one they sell as the "hidden Cotswolds" so we went somewhere I've forgotten with a mill and not much else, Tetbury and Castle Combe. The last one is tiny but almost all the houses are pure chocolate box. The forty minutes the bus stopped for was enough to see all of it and have a swift one in the pub. Most of the people of the trip were Japanese "madam" types, about half of whom seemed to be on holiday on their Jack Jones.

On the trip, the guide made a point of pointing out some sheep in a field when we past some. There weren't many cows and sheep about and most of the fields were deserted. You get loads more up north. The commentary mentioned loads of stuff I didn't know and was completely gushing in its enthusiasm for the U of K. Like the beeb Jubilee coverage, except on steriods and in Japanese.

That's funny! I'm trying to think what would be the equivalent trip, if there is one, for foreigners visiting Japan? I guess the Kyoto/Nara area with deer instead of sheep!

There's a good race circuit at Castle Coombe btw, not that that would have been on the tour! :D

I love seeing the cows and sheep. I love seeing the outside munching on the grass, and I hate seeing them chained up insider 100% of the time here in Japan.

And yes definitely more in the north but we still saw a fair amount down there this summer.

That's funny! I'm trying to think what would be the equivalent trip, if there is one, for foreigners visiting Japan? I guess the Kyoto/Nara area with deer instead of sheep!

If there is an equivalent, it would be some a bit random (to locals) place that's become a "must see" in guidebooks for foreigners. Kyoto and Nara get loads of domestic tourists too, so they don't really qualify.

I would suggest number one is that fish market in Tokyo. From the pictures on tv, it looked like a bunch of ordinary middle-aged or older Japanese blokes going about their work with dozens of gaijins (and only gaijins) gawping and pointing cameras at them. No wonder they keep trying to kick everyone out.

Though its an actual tourist attraction, the "snow monkeys" at Shiga Kogen get a really high percentage of gaijin visitors. There are loads of places in Nagano that are more popular with Japanese people.

I've not seen any guidebooks to Japan in donkeys, but there's bound to be some restaurant or minshuku or maid cafe or something somewhere that's been hyped by the Lonely Planet people as the go-to one and so has loads of gaijin while the one across the road that's just as good is empty.