Hiya moon sausage here

:wave:

New here, well have lurked a while and now that we are going to get to Japan thought I would join in.

:)

Going to get to Japan in January. The plan is time in Tokyo with friend, go up to Zao in Yamagata and perhaps get out to Niigata as well as it is so convenient from Tokyo.

My friend has been to Nozawa in Nagano and wondering how it compares for those who have been to both.

Thanks!

Hi moon sausage!

I have been to both and I like them both.

In a few ways they are similar - small onsen village with character, right at the base of a large skijo (though I think the village might have been there first).

Both get good snow and offer decent variety.

I prefer Zao, very possibly because of the spectacular setting that it has, though I do prefer the skiing there as well. I suppose it will depend on what you want out of your skijo.

:friend:

They are both fine places and as muikabochi said have similarities.

I would find it hard to choose one, I love them both - both my type of place.

For lots of people Zao is about the monsters and stuff and there's no real equivelant at Nozawa. But the skiing is quality.

At both.

Unfortunately, most Japanese ski resort areas are like that.

Many people stay in their hotel, especially onsen places where it's usually room + 2 meals. Doesn't make for a lively town.

Zao and Shiga Kogen are two major places that strike me as being particularly quiet on that front.

A shame really.

Yeah, Japanese snow experience is definitely not for the after party! Japanese people tend to be happy with the post riding onsen, hotel dinner then a can or 2 of beer in their room before sleeping

Its been a while since I've been to Nozawa, but as I remember, there is more challenging riding there. Zao seemed to be an awful lot of beginner slopes and people stood around taking pictures of the snow monsters.

The top run at Zao really shouldn't count - it is as much scenic tourism as much as skiing - just the one thin run down from the top.

And when the views are so amazing, people would be silly not to be taking shots.

But the skijo is much much bigger than that one run.

There's lots of what I would call intermediate long cruising kind of runs.

Having said that, I would agree that Nozawa does offer more challenges. Though there's a great big bit in the middle that I don't rate at all.

I'm not a beginner but Zao wins for me.

Unfortunately folks I can't see it changing much in the near future.

People in Zao are aware of the issue, though some don't look on it as a problem as such.

There have been a few places opening in the evening but struggle.