Not from me. Others definitely.

Pretty bold statement to come out and blatantly accuse someone of being a drug cheat.

i hope she's as clean as a whistle.

I hope we can just except that a 16 year old Chinese school girl swims faster than a 28 year old Male veteren gold medalist in the same evet because of umm.. better training techniques. ;)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good idea as well I reckon.

I can totally understand the perspective of pfft sport, what about interest rates, trade deficit and community health. I get it.  But the reality is that sports investment is way worse than it has b

UK news sites making a fuss about it and also the "sweatshop, torturous conditions" that young Chinese kids are brought up in.

Must say there seems some sour grapes in the mix to me and while they certainly do seem to push their young kids - perhaps too far - this swimmer should not be branded a cheat before there is any kind of proof that is true.

Which is what is happening now.

She should in a perfect world be applauded for being an amazing swimmer. We're way far from that ideal though hey.

I think the extreme scrutiny of the result is valid, given china's extensive state sponsored drug cheating program that went on in previous years, Perhaps it shouldn't be done in such a public fashion though. Also you would have to be naive to think that the chemists doing the drug screening are somehow automatically more advanced than the chemists doing the cheating just because they are on the side of good. No sour grapes just a sad reality of modern sport.

Not from me. Others definitely.

Pretty bold statement to come out and blatantly accuse someone of being a drug cheat.

i hope she's as clean as a whistle.

I hope we can just except that a 16 year old Chinese school girl swims faster than a 28 year old Male veteren gold medalist in the same evet because of umm.. better training techniques. ;)

:confused:

See the co-ordinated "grape" colours going on there?

;)

:lol:

Was just watching a bit on how London is very quiet.

And indeed lots of tourist places around England are quiet with lots of, for example, Japanese tourists avoiding UK this summer due to the Olympics.

Interesting, but don't we hear this for the host every Olympics?

yes there is lots of such talk here.

Even places like the lake district seeing some big drop in numbers.

Loads of Japanese visit the lake district, but this year numbers are down considerably due to them not coming over ie. avoiding London.

Londoners have been warned about and ordered not to be in the city during the Olympics.

Trouble is, most people seem to have listened, the tourists have stayed away and it's the quietest most of us have ever seen the city.

Lots of businesses who were told/promised that it would be a good time are having a distinctly bad time of it.

In fact a friend of mine owns a shop near central London and they are actually going to close for 5 days next week - business down over 35% the last week on normal.

They are going to give the staff a break and then come back to it once the Olympics are over.

They are pretty pissed about it to be honest.

:lol:

Was just watching a bit on how London is very quiet.

And indeed lots of tourist places around England are quiet with lots of, for example, Japanese tourists avoiding UK this summer due to the Olympics.

Interesting, but don't we hear this for the host every Olympics?

Tourism to Japan dropped when the 2002 World Cup was on.

There was a big drop in Korean visitors that wasn't made up by the not-so-many fans that actually came.

I'm just not into watching sport and so just don't feel like watching.

Always find it curious how here in Japan - especially I think - people seem to somehow feel they are obliged to watch and 'enjoy'. Are people here not allowed to show a disinterest?

My lady's gran avidly watches the Japanese football teams and talks about it. And she doesn't even like football. At all. Doesn't even know the rules properly. I don't get that at all. No-one seems to find that slightly... odd.

I don't begrudge her having fun, if she really is having fun. I can't work out if she is actually having fun, or just forcing herself to stay in the loop so to speak.

Also get the feeling people think I'm odd not being interested in them generally and especially the efforts of the country I come from.

That's all something I try not to think about.

If anyone out there teaches high-level students English, it might be interesting to ask them "what is the most popular televised spectator sport in Japan?" Of course, you must follow up the question with condition that "popular" and "spectator sport" assume that the answer is a sport that people like to appreciate, even when Japanese people are not participating or have little hope of winning. "Whatever subdiscipline Japanese people are currently good at" is not a recognized sport.

Fwiw, I reckon it might be Formula One.

F1 is traditionally on Fuji tv at just before midnight on the day of the race.

Live on SkyPefectv.

But since F1 became totally rubbish, I don't think many people are at all interested. Apart from the drivers and perhaps their mums.

F1 is traditionally on Fuji tv at just before midnight on the day of the race.

Live on SkyPefectv.

But since F1 became totally rubbish, I don't think many people are at all interested. Apart from the drivers and perhaps their mums.

I don't watch it myself very often, but at least every race is on. TV coverage of other sports is quite sporadic.

With F1 now, you can always play "guess who Lewis Hamilton is going to crash into".

Jessica Ennis is pretty amazing too, one more thing to do this evening for gold

Amazing performance.

Got to admire those guys - she would have won gold in the Beijing hurdle final with the time she clocked in that event.

And then to go on and compete in 6 other events.

Jessica Ennis is pretty amazing too, one more thing to do this evening for gold

Amazing performance.

Got to admire those guys - she would have won gold in the Beijing hurdle final with the time she clocked in that event.

And then to go on and compete in 6 other events.

Thinking about how much dedication it takes to make it to the Olympics in ONE sport...holy cr@p, to have to compete in 7 (or ten for the guys!!,) that is dedication for you!!