Facebook is alive with comments...

Damn, if only I had magical Facepages, I might have what hundreds (nay, billions!) of people think about it forced on me.

:doh:

Gotta admit, when I logged on this morning I scrolled down the news feed and the mental process was :

(scrolling with speed) 'lympics, 'lympics, 'lympics, 'lympics ... More Olympics... Ohhh wait! Thredbo snow report (stop. Read. Scroll) Olympics, Olympics...gee...this is going to be a fun few weeks!

:D

However once the Water Polo starts I will be just as bad as everyone else!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good idea as well I reckon.

I can totally understand the perspective of pfft sport, what about interest rates, trade deficit and community health. I get it.  But the reality is that sports investment is way worse than it has b

Speaking of the dedication of an Olympic Athlete...

I was thinking about this yesterday.

Was watching the lads Water Polo training. Out of the pool of 35 dedicated young athletes training in the middle of winter it would be lucky if one or two of them ever make it to the Olympics - but at least half of them have Olympic rings (rather than stars) in their eyes. These guys train for huge hours at huge intensity, with massive sacrifice and lots of hurt ... And hardly any will make it to wear thier Nations uniform at the march of the opening ceremony.

It made me think about the back story of the competitors who HAVE made it. All the hours, over all the years...the heartaches and ups and downs they have experienced over thier sporting lives. They might compete for 30 seconds, or 5 minutes... But there has been countless hours over many many years of preparation.

I take my hat off to them.

It takes a special human being, unbreakable determination, and a sprinkle of natural talent to make it.

I thought it was well done.

One thing though. The Queeen. I'm not a hater as such, don't really care one way or the other but..... she really is miserable old bag, isn't she? Could she not have raised a smile?

I really quite enjoyed that.

:)

The eccentric stuff of course most.

It's what we do really well.

Mr Bean was a really great idea and was also very funny.

Paul McCartney, hmmm - please retire. How many more times does he need to get wheeled out?

Queen - please smile.

What was with that German official dude in the stands doing some kind of, er, 'salute from the past'?

Looked pretty dodgy.

The Queen can't retire just yet, because Charles would take over...and that would be the end of the Monarchy.

She is holding on until it is impractical for Charles, and William can step into the role with Kate competently by his side.

I am sure it was a long day for her, but a smile is not a lot to ask.

Some rumors would have it that she hasn't been totally well in recent days.

I only found that out as my friend actually said 'is she I'll, she doesn't look well?'

I told her that she was just always sour-faced, but turns out some commentators are saying she is under the weather.....

:D sorry Echi! The colloquial language does not translate well.

Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh

Because he was born in Greece and is a Greek Prince, Australians tend to refer to him as Phil 'the Greek'.

Becks still has it at times, he looked pretty kakkoi last night.

Ah I remember when he was at united. :yummy:

If only he didn't have all those horrible, horrible tattoos defacing his bod.....

Im watching the japan sweden game, its my second time watching womens soccer. When i was a kid, my mum used to rejoice in telling me about how my dads local team got cuffed by the scotlands womens team who happened to be training in ayr for some reason or another. So ive always had instilled in me the idea that mocking womens football was the route to ones downfall.

But A few things to note.

1. I cant conceive of a shot outside the box troubling anyone. Any keeper should have a good 10 seconds to react to it.

2. I dont understand how so many telegraphed runs seem to pay off. Women are ****ing lazy is the only explanation.

3. The passing is so casual, with so much postcarding and obvious runs, youd think you were watching a practice session.

4. On the positive though....

5. Some great vision and superbly weighted passing from japan.

6. Two or so weeks ago i watched the womens team play US in a friendly to an empty stadium, it was like watching a sunday league game. The quality has massively improved (japan got thumped then for fact watchers).

7. Theres a real lackadaisical feel to the game with some HORRIFIC blunders in defence that have me (as a former (shit) defender) wondering where some of their heads are. Still, it makes for some chances (though no one seems capable of running at players. Theyre always looking for a damn pass - japan needs to sack their coach).

8. Holy shit, a shot from 25 yards out that had a bit of pace to it. Skied though but at least it puts paid to point one. Sweden can on occasion crack a ball.

9. And seriously...

The refereeing is EXCELLENT. Ive seen a tonne of stuff that would have been called or would have had players flailing around until it was called in the mens game, but it gets squat. The ref seems intent on letting the game flow. Its like going back to the 80s (well, if you dont think about 20 minutes of defenders knocking it back to the keeper), Ive barely heard the whistle in the last twenty minutes. Someone needs to tell fifa that its not american football, and maybe hold back on the old refereeing except in serious incidents or incidents that might directly lead to a goal. A bit of argiebargie though in midfield? Who gives a shit? The stuff they stop the game for these days blows my mind.

So just finished, i wont post spoilers in case youve got it taped, but yeah, more entertaining than watching the under 18 world cup at rugby park when i was 13. For the doubters (like me), its slow, its not got "good fundamentals" but its end to end, and though no one looks like scoring outside of the 6 yard line, its pretty decent to watch.

10. Is it wrong that i think saori kimura is really cute. I love seeing her goofy face. :)

Wrong thread, but....

tumblr_m6y638iBU71qhhaooo1_500.jpg

I agree with pretty much everything you said there ippy and was thinking a few of the same thoughts.

Funny how the commentary gets so excited at those 25 yard shots!

:lol:

Nicely put ippy.

I actually watched most of that last night.

They have skills but it's just so.... slow and not powerful.

I'm afraid I'll never really get into that.

Unless they all became foxy chicks, which seems... unlikely.

Becks still has it at times, he looked pretty kakkoi last night.

Ah I remember when he was at united. :yummy:

If only he didn't have all those horrible, horrible tattoos defacing his bod.....

Ink is not attractive, no matter what you do it with!

How many millions of pounds did the opening ceremony cost? Worth it? Not bloody likely!

Bring on the "low key" Opening Ceremony, so the cost doesn't kill the chances of any smaller country holding the games.

While we're on that theme, what "sports" should be eliminated from the roster? Many of them are very expensive to stage, many are reliant on "subjective" scoring.

I have my own thoughts, but interested to hear from people, with reasons.

Worth it? Not bloody likely!

Thing is, how are you going to prove it either way?

Waste of money, or one great big huge worldwide advert for London?