admittedly the hoisting of the wrong flag was my peoples fault. And genuinely i wouldnt put it past it being deliberate. its just the kind of thing id expect from any one of my cousins. Better that though than thinking it was just pig ignorance. :confused:

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good idea as well I reckon.

I can totally understand the perspective of pfft sport, what about interest rates, trade deficit and community health. I get it.  But the reality is that sports investment is way worse than it has b

woohoo, senegal versus uruguay on nbc :)

i started watching this with uruguay 1-0 down.

Then senegal lost a defender (prof foul on Suarez).

And now its 2-0 to senegal!

**** yeah! Mexico 86, I aint fogotten... :p

I'm just not into watching sport and so just don't feel like watching.

Always find it curious how here in Japan - especially I think - people seem to somehow feel they are obliged to watch and 'enjoy'. Are people here not allowed to show a disinterest?

My lady's gran avidly watches the Japanese football teams and talks about it. And she doesn't even like football. At all. Doesn't even know the rules properly. I don't get that at all. No-one seems to find that slightly... odd.

I don't begrudge her having fun, if she really is having fun. I can't work out if she is actually having fun, or just forcing herself to stay in the loop so to speak.

Also get the feeling people think I'm odd not being interested in them generally and especially the efforts of the country I come from.

id actually want to see some more sports. But actually proper ones :p

Gimme some cricket and rugby (and some baseball for the yanks - why on earth did they get rid of it?). Also some golf. Maybe even a grand prix as well. :)

Skiing!

On the subject of Judo, one of my colleagues at work came out with the 'foreigners can't fully understand judo' line today.

He comes out with classics like that quite often. You know the type.

I sort of admire the way Japanese kind of come together in things like this, and have this ability to be interested in something not interested in. Not sure how great an ability that is though!

Really pisses me off.

Innocent until proved guilty.

Should not be even an issue, poor girl.

---

Prof John Brewer, a board member of UK Anti-Doping and director of sport at the University of Bedfordshire, said:

“The drug testing procedures in place at the London 2012 Olympics are extremely rigorous and the storage of samples for 8 years after the Games makes doping an very high risk strategy. We should not be surprised by exceptional performances since Gold medal winning athletes are inevitably different to the rest of us due to their talent, training and lifestyles.

“It's also worth remembering that China has a vast pool of talent to choose from due to the size of its population, so we should not be too surprised when an individual with exceptional talent emerges.”

Duncan Goodhew, Olympic Village Deputy Mayor, and a gold medallist in the men's 100 metres breaststroke in the 1980 Moscow Olympics, said competitors were innocent until proven guilty - and that there were always "incredible improvements" in performance at large sporting events such as the Olympic Games.

"There are always incredible improvements in any large sporting event such as the Olympic Games, and of course, in terms of that, innocent until proven guilty," he told ITV Daybreak.

"I think it is very destructive and very irresponsible of anybody to accuse people until they are proven guilty."

UK news sites making a fuss about it and also the "sweatshop, torturous conditions" that young Chinese kids are brought up in.

Must say there seems some sour grapes in the mix to me and while they certainly do seem to push their young kids - perhaps too far - this swimmer should not be branded a cheat before there is any kind of proof that is true.

Which is what is happening now.

She should in a perfect world be applauded for being an amazing swimmer. We're way far from that ideal though hey.

Agree with above.

And one must not forget that China held the games last...usually the host nation does well at thier own event, but considerably better at the next one as all the focus and training start to pay off.

Celebrate. Investigations are de rigour and will uncover any cheating if it exists.

One thing I did question yesterday though was whether testosterone use in training was tested for. I know nothing about these things, but one of the Aussie female weightlifters (Asian genetics and name) seemed to have an over abundance of testosterone! The hairy armpits were more dense and expansive than anything my husband or sons can muster, let alone me!! It was unbelievable!!

USA 110 Tunisia 63

Thought it was kinda cool/funny, USA signing autographs for Tunisian (correct term?) players after the game. Those guys looked so excited to meet the USA players, lol.

The team that will dominate AKA The Dream Team 2.0!! (minus Blake Griffin, plus Anthony Davis (#14)):

2799-team-usa.jpg

woohoo! found the brazil game :) New zealand... for those who dont want spoilers i wont say, but though you might not be losing (might) you arent exactly doing great :p

Brazil by the way, are a freaking joy to watch. Theyre treating it like a knock about. Beautiful vision and running.

Lost interest... brazil are walking this :|

Off to watch the cycling instead. :)

Back to brazil new zealand... dull second half. New zealand had nothing to contribute so it just became a 45 minute waste of time.

UK news sites making a fuss about it and also the "sweatshop, torturous conditions" that young Chinese kids are brought up in.

Must say there seems some sour grapes in the mix to me and while they certainly do seem to push their young kids - perhaps too far - this swimmer should not be branded a cheat before there is any kind of proof that is true.

Which is what is happening now.

She should in a perfect world be applauded for being an amazing swimmer. We're way far from that ideal though hey.

I think the extreme scrutiny of the result is valid, given china's extensive state sponsored drug cheating program that went on in previous years, Perhaps it shouldn't be done in such a public fashion though. Also you would have to be naive to think that the chemists doing the drug screening are somehow automatically more advanced than the chemists doing the cheating just because they are on the side of good. No sour grapes just a sad reality of modern sport.