Which resort is best for shopping/ sightseeing

Hi everyone.

Planning next years trip and wife doesn't want to go to rusutsu as she still isn't excited about snowboarding despite my best efforts and she is keen for a few days(hours) on the slopes but she would prefer something else to do ie: shopping, hanging out having alook around within a decent town/ resort.

Any recommendations.

I thought maybe shiga kogen but have never been there.

Seemore

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of "shopping" do you want?

The only skijo place I can think of near some "proper shopping" is Karuizawa, but I don't think we'd be going overboard in recommending the skiing there!

Yes it seems that there isn't any big resorts similar to US/Canada and Europe which i think is what my wife is after. And I don't want to have to cross to the other side of the world when I can go to Japan.

Seemore

Afraid shopping isn't a bit part of the experience here at all.

Unless you mean souvenir shops like charlotte said.

I can't think of anywhere I have been to that offers much more than that.

I am in hokkaido for 6 weeks, I can be anywhere at any time as I am not making accom bookings before I leave but there is an unofficial meet up for a few guys from this and other forums for rusutsu in the first week of feb so I will definately be there at that time.

I am hiring a car and going to hit a lot of different spots all around the place.

I am in hokkaido for 6 weeks, I can be anywhere at any time as I am not making accom bookings before I leave but there is an unofficial meet up for a few guys from this and other forums for rusutsu in the first week of feb so I will definately be there at that time.

I am hiring a car and going to hit a lot of different spots all around the place.

Yeah I was thinking early Feb again got it good last year and the kids are back at school hopefully i will grow some balls and have a nice new stick ny then sold my fish last week.

Seemore

I don't think Japanese associated skiing holiday with shopping.

Not in Japan anyway!

And certainly not in an onsen area or skijo like Shiga Kogen.

I really thought that some one would set up a mega resort with a big shopping centre but I guess Rusutsu is the closest thing along those lines.

Seemore

I don't think Japanese associated skiing holiday with shopping.

Not in Japan anyway!

And certainly not in an onsen area or skijo like Shiga Kogen.

I really thought that some one would set up a mega resort with a big shopping centre but I guess Rusutsu is the closest thing along those lines.

Seemore

Karuizawa prince shopping mall place.

Pity the skijo is crap.

Seemore, a euro resort is what you need for the Mrs.

I am more than happy to hang with the boys on mountain, but I was with a few women who went with, did not ski, yet really enjoyed a couple of weeks in Zermatt.

I am more than happy to hang with the boys on mountain, but I was with a few women who went with, did not ski, yet really enjoyed a couple of weeks in Zermatt.

Hi MB

Yes she has been checking out European resorts at some stage I will have to do it i just like the proximity of Japan no jet lag cheap and great pow.

Seemore

Hi MB

Yes she has been checking out European resorts at some stage I will have to do it i just like the proximity of Japan no jet lag cheap and great pow.

Seemore

You know I am a Japow Fan-gal, but honestly from Perth the Euro travel was no worse than the J- travel (comparing how I felt after a non stop journey to Zermatt in January, and Niseko in March). And I honestly didn't suffer jet lag, just adjusted watches and expectations as we went along and got as much sleep as possible on the plane/train.

And we got some incredible conditions, so much so the entire mountain was shut one day due to the avie risk!

Yes, the deep consistent Japanese POW is something special, and it will keep me coming back for the rest of my life, but you honestly won't be disappointed with YOUR on mountain expereince and your wife will be with you and happy. Win win for the occasional trip.

Hi MB

Seemore

You know I am a Japow Fan-gal, but honestly from Perth the Euro travel was no worse than the J- travel (comparing how I felt after a non stop journey to Zermatt in January, and Niseko in March). And I honestly didn't suffer jet lag, just adjusted watches and expectations as we went along and got as much sleep as possible on the plane/train.

And we got some incredible conditions, so much so the entire mountain was shut one day due to the avie risk!

Yes, the deep consistent Japanese POW is something special, and it will keep me coming back for the rest of my life, but you honestly won't be disappointed with YOUR on mountain expereince and your wife will be with you and happy. Win win for the occasional trip.

MB how was it price wise? (I am a bit of a tight arse)

Seemore