What sort of crimes go on in Japan?

They may well happen but I can't say I have ever heard of a house break-in or a car theft since I have been in Japan.

People leave their houses open and cars unlocked often, which seems a bit silly to me, but that's probably coming from where I come from.

Having said that, it makes sense to protect your stuff anyway.

You do hear about murders and that every so often, there's kind of drunken violence (1 boozed up salaryman making a nuisance of himself) but I have never heard of a burglary or car theft. Like Sanjo said, I'm sure it does happen but its definitely not common

The most common form of "crime" that tangles up the Police here are:

Umbrella thefts (although these are more like unofficial umbrella exchanges at convinis),

bicycle thefts

high school kids giving "backies" to their mates (I've actually witnessed a Police car put the siren on and flag down a high school "Criminal" for giving his mate a ride on the back of his bike, giving the rider a ticket!! :lol: )

making pesky Gaijin speak quieter in public places

chasing felons who cycle at night without a bike light (same scenario witnessed as the "backie" felon)

People leave their houses open and cars unlocked often, which seems a bit silly to me, but that's probably coming from where I come from.

Having said that, it makes sense to protect your stuff anyway.

I never locked my house and rarely locked my car whilst I lived in Japan and since coming back to Australia have continued this practice. It doesn't make sense to be overproctective of your stuff if there is little risk of crime where you live. That's just being paraniod. ;)

Man in Japan for the WIN!! Good stuff :thumbsup:

I've had my car broken into while I was surfing. That kind of thing goes on quite a bit around here. Also, had a kayak lifted from my back deck but it was found a few days later. I got into a traffic accident once and the dude that hit me took off before the cops could come. In 18 years...that's about it.

Seems to be a lot of cases of people swindling money out of old people. They are a bit more developed than the 'ore ore' cases from a few years ago.

I heard one the other day where they ring up saying they are from the city office and they want to refund some health insurance money or something, send the person off to an ATM and tell them via the phone exactly which buttons to press. They follow the instructions then wonder why they are missing 1,000,000 yen...

Blokes groping women on trains is pretty rife. Quite a lot of flashers and knicker thiefs too.

We've had a car broken into, but that was the main one.

Unpaid overtime and not honouring workers' rights regarding mandatory holidays are very common. Perhaps they're not crimes in the usual sense, but they are "against the law".

I know what my next investment is going to be in.... brown nondescript cardboard boxes!! Every night there's a news story with prosecutor office flunkies with armfuls of boxes filing into suspect office buildings. As the economy tanks further I'm sure we're going to see more corporate crime....

Anybody want in...? ;)

Jimmy Carr said he had changed his tax affairs since the scheme came to light. Photograph: Yui Mok/PA

The comedian Jimmy Carr has issued an apology for his "terrible error of judgment" in using a tax avoidance scheme.

Carr confirmed that he had changed his tax affairs after the scheme was revealed this week. On Wednesday the prime minister had labelled the situation "morally wrong".

In a series of Tweets the comedian said: "I appreciate as a comedian, people will expect me to 'make light' of this situation, but I'm not going to in this statement as this is obviously a serious matter.

"I met with a financial advisor and he said to me: "Do you want to pay less tax? It's totally legal." I said: "Yes."

"I now realise I've made a terrible error of judgment.

"Although I've been advised the K2 tax scheme is entirely legal, and has been fully disclosed to HMRC [Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs], I'm no longer involved in it and will in future conduct my financial affairs much more responsibly. Apologies to everyone. Jimmy Carr."

I noticed that a law to punish heavily, people who are found guilty of downloading copyrighted material has been pushed through the Lower house......if its ratified by the upper house then those who choose to download movies, music etc could face up to 2 years in jail. Hmmm.......I don't like that law!!

Hear a few crimes, there are murders, burglaries, shop lifting etc but extremely few compared to other places.

Where I am never hear of anything at all, although it was in the local Yamanashi nichi nichi shinbun about a week or so ago that someone is stealing petrol cans from the back of k-trucks and even some of the smaller fire stations.

It's amazing though how some really small things going on that would not even get a mention in a local broadcast back home get national news coverage here.

Goes to show that we're still thankfully on very different levels.

not crime, but on the subject of inane news stories....."The mushroom harvest" :lol: last Autumn there was about a week's worth of prime NHK News time devoted to the harvest and where people go to collect the best ones in the wild.....with everything else that was going on in the world, definitely laughed out loud