Depends how long I soak:

Just right amount of time: relaxed and recharged with this sort of light feeling in your body

If I soak for ages: relaxed to the point of wanting to sleep and usually pretty thirsty too.

only had two onsens in my last visit to japan, one in a cheap out of the way traditional place with very mineral smelling water, then one in an expensive resort where I'm not convinced the water wasn't just heated water. The authentic experience was really great and i look forward to visiting some more come January after a long day on the slopes

:banner: <-- don't do that with your little towel.

Definitely love a soak in an onsen after a day on the snow. Also go after a long hike during the warmer months. I like to think that it helps my legs recover faster but if nothing else it just feels good.

Oh....how could I have missed this thread?? Onsen....? Yep, I like. Ironically, the only days I don't have a soak is when I go skiing. Otherwise its 3 or 4 times a day. Even in summer its nice to fill it up and let it cool down to lukewarm and have a cool soak.

The absolute best time to hit the onsen is after a cold winter surf session. I don't even shed the suit...just jump in. Man, that is heaven.