The 2012 Southern Hemisphere Winter Thread - Oz, En-Zed, South America

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the spot you all called the cross country course lol

gallery_5986_46_104833.jpg

That's some funny-looking sasa.

Is that some sasa-dango I can see in there!

Sweet Jesus!!!

Why am I in Perth right now?!

Sunday was awesome, deep dry snow, at least 30cm in the areas I like to get into. Then monday the sun came out with another 10-20cm of fresh and windblown on top. It was the best Ive ever had in Australia by far.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pics. I particularly like the glistening diamonds in the 3rd one.

I had 2 weeks in the Snowys, all bar one day was at Thredbo - the other day at Perisher.

I had a great time, but the rain did major damage. It was getting critical right before a decent snowfall that offered up the best days riding I have ever expereinced in an Aussie resort. The wind was fierce, and while that meant some seriously wind scoured icy patches, it also mean the wind blown stashes delivered ALL day long.

Queues at Thredbo were horrendous at times for my first week - which was the last week of NSW school holidays. But not all the time..

However during the 2nd week (WA school holidays) it was much much quieter. Not so the day we ventured to Perisher however. Surprisingly the wait time for t bars in Perisher was longer than the wait for chairs in Thredbo at its worst!, and the queues for chairs in Perisher were virtually non existent ... I didn't understand that!

Another week or so before I am back. Hoping for a bit more snow between now and then. The cover down low could use a bit more depth.

At perisher there is a natural spread of people from the front over to blue cow and guthega during the morning and then they all start to return, once you learn this pattern you can do the opposite and avoid most of the crowds.

Should get more snow this week, its raining pretty hard here in wollongong atm.

At perisher there is a natural spread of people from the front over to blue cow and guthega during the morning and then they all start to return, once you learn this pattern you can do the opposite and avoid most of the crowds.

Should get more snow this week, its raining pretty hard here in wollongong atm.

Yah! I should probably follow you around G.. I had no clue where to go, didn't even carry a piste map - was just following a friend staying there.

It did give me plenty of practice at fully loaded t bars under pressure though! LOL

You probably followed the hordes by the sounds of it. The best advice I can probably give you not knowing your ability level is to turn the other way to everyone else every time you get off a lift. Due to its spread out nature perisher can cause you to always be heading to the next spot without getting the best out of where you actually are, 90% of people do this IMO. There are runs that hardly get used by the masses.

A certain short hike of 50-80m can give you an untouched run 3 times as long as you will see on the piste maps starting at a place called T_P ST_T__N and ending at a place called G_TH_G_. You can buy vowels off me for $2 each lol.

I posted a short trip report on the australian ski forum yesterday in the backcountry forum, check that out, it shows some of the easy lift accessed terrain we covered on the first few days, the last day was more of a mission. BTW my name is BobGnarly over there.

Hee hee Bob. I am the same girl here as there, although titled now.

I'd be surprised if I came across anything inbounds that I couldn't negotiate...not saying I could do it all with style or grace, but it would get done. Funnily enough the best fun of the day (ride wise) was had on the smooshed up brownish cat tracks from the top of Front Valley to the car park when the kids and I decided to go play on the tubes.

I think I need to try Perisher on a good snow day and really travel to the deepest recesses.

We really didn't go past Mt P. (partially my fault for only being there for a short time)

You have a lot to explore then ;-) There is heaps more terrain and different aspects compared with thredbo. Thredbo's biggest problem is a big funnel, most runs come back to the same lifts. Perisher is the opposite which gives you a lot more freedom to get around, you just have to check whats around the corner or just out of sight to find some real gems.

Very true. You are back to Kosi or Gunbarrel (or Slowgums if Kosi is on hold, or the queue is insane) every time.

Makes it easy to catch up with people. But I do like the length of runs at Thredbo...I think the northern adventures have given me the taste and love for long leg burners.

Must make a commitment to explore Perisher further.

Going with a 'local' or 'knowledgable' is definitely the way to go.