The 2012 Southern Hemisphere Winter Thread - Oz, En-Zed, South America

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have had better snow conditions though, 1 week before we were there it rained, and they lost 50cm of snow, then it turned cold and the top 6 cm froze solid. Off piste was not really an option, and looking up the mountain in the morning, it had a definite tinge of blue to it. The groomers were in pretty good condition considering. Was nice to get a few turns in though.

Heres a few spring pics from yesterday, the lifts closed a few weeks ago but there is still lots of snow out there. I went splitboarding out into the NSW main range to Carruthers Peak and Mt Lee. I was out there for 11 hours and I can barely walk today lol.

The road at charlotte pass just on sunrise, as you can see there is plenty of snow. Thats my car with the sleeper cab I built so I can afford to do more days on snow.

20121015_061837.jpg

Looking across at the top of Carruthers

20121015_100958.jpg

Looking from the peak of Carruthers across to The Sentinel

20121015_103127.jpg

20121015_103146.jpg

Looking back at Carruthers after my first run, time to skin back up.

20121015_133800.jpg

Looking at Carruthers from Mt Lee, you can see two telemarkers on the right hand side which gives some scale.

20121015_141211.jpg

20121015_145523.jpg

Yeah there is great cover. Interestingly all the snow that fell last week is super slow and the older brown snow is fast. I nearly went over the hangers in the white stuff a few times.

I love those gullies off Curruthers down to Club Lake. Certainly not a bad cover for this time of year. Although lower levels this winter never really got much sustained cover (and melted away very quickly) the higher areas like the Main Range did well. Back in the old days I used to head up to the Main Range in late November after university exams and generally still had plenty of snow. 1992 was an incredible year. Although it started late when it came it came big time and continued very late. There was still great skiing right through December into Jan.