The 2012 Southern Hemisphere Winter Thread - Oz, En-Zed, South America

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope it is not brought down to that Seemore.

If it comes out in the final assessment of the incident that a helmet may have made a difference, then let's have that discussion.

Until then let's hope he is given the peace and resect he deserves.

I also just can't help but feel sad for the 150,000 or so other people that died today as well. Just so much death out there and I bet most weren't wearing helments....

Well the death from snowboarding is a bit closer to home than the other 149,999 people, isn't it?

And it may well prove to be the case that a helmet was the reason for the death.

Oh come on GN.

Skiing forum.

Skiing interests.

The death of a fellow skier (or boarder) in the pursuit of that sport is of interest and concern to many of us.

You would probably find the latest shark munching among the topics of a surfers forum also.

It does not diminish the deaths of the thousands.

Well the death from snowboarding is a bit closer to home than the other 149,999 people, isn't it?

And it may well prove to be the case that a helmet was the reason for the death.

Is it? Do you go onto car forums and post how sad it is everytime you hear about someone dying in an car accident somewhere? I mean most of us drive don't we? Doesn't that hit close to home as well?

I doubt a helmet will be a major factor at all. It's been shown that in relatively high speed collisions snowsports helmets aren't very effective. For glancing blows and low speed collisions they are very effective at reducing head injury and mild concusions but for high speed head into a tree stuff they don't do much at all. You'd need something like a motorbike helmet which is specifically designed for higher speed collisions.

Is it?

Yeah.

And another today, similar circumstances from all accounts.

Young Snowboarder from Sydney in his 20s vs tree with very tragic outcome.

PB and the cubs were in the vicinity, thankfully with the foresight to text Mamabear home in Perth before she got wind of it online and started to stress.

Location was Thredbo, between Eagle Way and the Supertrail, through the tree's obviously. Can't tell you how many times I have taken the route myself to avoid the nightmare that can be Eagle Way. He would have been pumped as conditions today were fabulous. Fresh snow and blue skies..

Rest Peacefully.

Thoughts are with family and friends.

I also just can't help but feel sad for the 150,000 or so other people that died today as well. Just so much death out there and I bet most weren't wearing helments....

Your problem, GN, not anyone else's.

As mentioned by others, more specific to those of us who ski than the more generalised "world view".

Not that I celebrate all the others, just this one is much closer to me than the orphan kids in Uganda (for example).

Whatever JA. It's all soooo very sad isn't it? Well I guess it is if you know the guy. I don't know the guy so means nothing to me. People die. Masses of em die each and every day in all manner of ways. I don't care more just because these guys are doing something I also do.

Avalanche yesterday at Turoa skifield, started above the skifield and came about 50m into the ski area boundary. No one hurt. There has been some rain recently, followed by fresh snow.

From the NZ Avalanche centre:

he danger remains CONSIDERABLE. The windslab conditions that have formed over the past few days are persisting. A clear day with calm winds and afternoon cloud put some warmth into the snowpack. This softened the slab, and triggered a natural cycle. This problem is isolated to the South Western area of the region (accessible from Turoa ski area). Numerous people had very close calls with significantly sized avalanches today. Make conservative terrain choices and avoid all freshly loaded slopes.

Whatever JA. It's all soooo very sad isn't it? Well I guess it is if you know the guy. I don't know the guy so means nothing to me. People die. Masses of em die each and every day in all manner of ways. I don't care more just because these guys are doing something I also do.

Must be a real hard effort to be such a PITA, at times, GN! As I recall, you are a reasonable bloke - we met in Niseko some years ago and I thought you were sensible. Your comments since returning to Aus have changed my impression.

Just shows that first impressions can be misleading, hey?

Don't remember ever meeting you at all JA. Just shows how much of a first impression you made! :sj-lol:

I've been making similar comments like this for years. Where I live doesn't change the way I think on matters like this. I've always found it somewhat interesting and even amusing why people seem to take a greater interest in certain deaths over others. Especially when it doesn't actually involve anyone that they know personally. The greatest example of course was the death of Princess Diana. I mean what the hell was that all about? But it's also like during floods or fires in Aus am I meant to be more moved because I'm also Australian than I would be of people dying in similar ways in another country? Personally I'm not. Same with skiing. I'm not more moved or interested in deaths in skiing than I am any other deaths. It's just the way I am. If that's not sensible in your book then oh well I'm not very sensible.

Those who know are predicting 50cm+ thursday-friday. Cant wait to verify that ;-)

Wow that's alot of rain you would expect floods after rain like that :)

Seemore

Those who know are predicting 50cm+ thursday-friday. Cant wait to verify that ;-)

Wow that's alot of rain you would expect floods after rain like that :)

Seemore

Haha its going to snow down to 800m or less and very cold which = powdah!

Pity Ill be in a classroom saturday and digging snow pits sunday.

• 2 weeks later...