The 2012 Southern Hemisphere Winter Thread - Oz, En-Zed, South America

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in it.

Stupid hire car company stuffed up my booking and gave me an Audi A4 instead of a 4WD! Not happy given the weather - I HATE having to put chains on, and the tyres are super low profile too... Pooo!

Got a few turns in this afternoon.

It was my sons first day on his new skis, so we did a few bunny runs, then a few easy groomers. Been snowing fairly consistently since we got in.

Was pretty windy at times, but intermittent.

It did blow me off course when trying to weave between stationary skiers and boarders at the top of the lifts.... <bit emabarressing clipping someone's board>

Cute kid GN

Is that at Baw Baw? - I figure that may be the nearest snowplay area to you.

Unless it's got really really cold

Went round to St Gwinear. Good spot for some snowplay and no mountain entry fees. Didn't cost a cent except for petrol. Will have to get her some x-country skis for next time.

Perfect GN!!

Wish I lived a drive away from snow, even if it is just snowplay or cross country skiing.

On my way back to soggy, chilly but not chilly enough Perth.

Had an awesome weekend.

An honest reflection on how Thredbo is stacking up this year:

Yes mountain prices for food and drinks are horrendous! There are some very good deals to be had, and sometimes you pay the price but the quality was right up there among the best I have had. Then there are the expensive and revolting...

I only came across ONE grumpy pants staff member anywhere, definitely the wrong side of the bed, or perhaps the fact that she was alone in the bed... But the majority of staff on the mountain were over the top happy, smiley, helpful, fun people.

Snow...brilliant! I am sure that left to mother nature we would not have had such incredible riding conditions so early in the season. The mountain crew have done an incredible job.

I had to buy a full price season pass for son #2 on Friday... The $699 special is feeling even better value now. Thankfully he will use it. A lot. So the price per day will probably be about the same as me, who will get to use it less.

I stayed once again at The Denman. The guest service is second to none, and the atmosphere in the bar means not having to go anywhere else (although we usually do a bit of a bar hop anyway).

The new RFID gate system works seamlessly. I often had issues in Japan and Europe if my card/chip wasn't on my right arm so I could get it in the right spot to be read....not so with the new gates at Thredbo. I had the pass in a pass pocket at the hem of my jacket, which was oversized - and it read every time instantly.

It's always going to be an expensive exercise engaging in downhill resort skiing in Australia. But Thredbo are doing a magnificent job in 2012.

I'm not making the effort this time round and just hoping to get to Japan in Jan or Feb.

Being real busy at work sort of helps make that decision easier.

Perisher was also awesome this sunday monday. The snow was very nice compared to last week, heaps of deep stashes (I refrain from using the word powder) in the trees, heaps of lifts open, not a lift line the whole time I was there. I went out of bounds to one of my fav runs and was just amazed by how good the snow was, snow depth was half way up my shin, beautiful terrain and scenery, the longest run you can have in perisher without a doubt and it is all within a 5 min hike in and 5 min hike back to the lifts! It feels so good when you have the entire face of the mountain with no tracks and you just pick your line and go.

I didnt take any pics out there but here is one from another of my favourite little spots that collects all the windblown. This spot had no snow at all last week now there are drifts well over 1m all over the place.

20120624_132213.jpg

Everything but the interceptor! I was talking to a ski patroller and he said they are simply struggling to get enough man hours to open everything up. I think it will be open by this weekend for sure, there is plenty of snow, just not enough man hours to open it all at once. Oh and I did happen to see a snow machine cutting a track from pretty valley up to the top where the interceptor finishes.

That looks very Niseko-y.

;)

Hard to believe I was the only one who put tracks through there in 2 days! Especially when its literally 30m from one of the main lifts.