No, but I'm tempted to get a NAS which looks like the same thing.

I'd like whatever I buy to be able to stream tunes, media and photos to Ipad/Ipod touch and maybe Apple TV quickly and painlessly without a pc being involved.

Streaming to windows is piss easy, so its iOS that throws up the problems.

Basically you can stick multiple hard disc drives into the thing and use it for easy-to-do (supposedly) backups.

I don't know this one in particular but it looks like its a NAS which you can look up on wiki.

It means "network accessible storage" or something like that. A clever version of an external hard drive with more functions.

Its like having a mini server (i.e., data providing) computer in your house.

Since its off computer, you can also use it for backups.

Aside from just storing your own files, you can fill one with downloaded music and movies and stream them to wifi devices in your house. Laptops, tablets, Apple tv, PS3 etc.

Admittedly, you can do a similar thing by having a main computer in your house and adding more hard drives to it, but then you can't turn it off and setting it up might be more of a pain than with a dedicated NAS with a stripped down interface. Having a separate NAS is also more resilient. Acting as a server will also slow your main computer down.

A clever NAS can run apps, such as bit torrent or on the fly conversion of movies to formats you can play on iOS.