Hi all,

Just laying the ground work for the next trip. I'm wondering if there is a bus that goes between Yuzawa and Shiga Kogen? The Nozawa section says it takes about 80mins from Nozawa to Yuzawa, but I can't seem to find any info on a Yuzawa to Shiga Kogen Bus.

Otherwise I'll have to get the shinkansen back from Echigo-Yuzawa to Takasaki then back up to Nagano then bus to SK, which will kill about 3.5 hours.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there is no bus.

It takes about 80 minutes by car from Yuzawa to Nozawa, but there is no bus service.

The train isn't that convenient either really - you would need to use Hokuhoku line from Yuzawa to Tokamachi and then change at Tokamachi to the Iiyama line to Togari Nozawa Onsen. But having said that, it would definitely be quicker and cheaper than the shink.

Shiga Kogen is a bit further on than Nozawa of course and I suppose you would need to continue on the train.

By car it's about another 45 minutes drive or so from Nozawa to Shiga Kogen.

I don't think Yuzawa see themselves as part of a "Nagano" trip like that. Not sure how much demand there would be for it actually.

Thanks Muika, I figured as much.

I've been to SK 3 times already, but we have some friends coming this time, so I want to show them it as well, while wanting to explore new areas.

Another question. How viable is the following (I have no idea of sizes when it comes to Yuzawa)

1st afternoon (after arriving around 12pm) - Ski Gala Yuzawa, Yuzawa Kogen and Ishiuchi Maruyama

2nd day - Ski Naeba/Kagura

3rd day - Ski Iwappara & Joetsu Kokusai

Is there any places that you would give a miss?

No worries, will help if I can. :friend:

Gala/Yuzawa Kogen/Ishiuchi is a fairly big area and too big for an afternoon, you wouldn't see it all. You'd want to cut out the Yuzawa Kogen bit there I reckon. Use Gala as the way up as it has the cool Shinkansen / Gondola station. And it's near the Emergency Telephone Box. But only do it on a weekday!

For your 3rd day, not sure why you chose those two together - they are a 30 minute or so bus/car ride apart - but I would personally rather just do Centleisure Maiko. But that's just a personal preference.

I've taken pics of trees at all the above so if you look in the Trip Report area you'll be able to find them.

Unfortunately, your pics make every place look good Muika. It's probably half the reason I want to explore around Yuzawa/minamiuonuma

For the 3rd day, you can get a train from iwappara skijomae to Joetsu....skijomae in 15mins or so. Considering they are able to be done on the same ticket, I thought it would be a good idea.

Is there any particular reason you prefer CM to Iwappara or JoKi? Just interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm a snowboarder. I stay mostly on-piste, though I do occasionally do cat tracks (side of the run tree stuff). I'm more into fast technical terrain, with hairpins, lumps, banked corners.

Check out my previous thread http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/21345-recommendations-for-tree-runs/page__st__20 which also has a video of one of the courses I like doing in SK... I'd prefer less flat of course, but it'll give you an idea.

For the 3rd day, you can get a train from iwappara skijomae to Joetsu....skijomae in 15mins or so. Considering they are able to be done on the same ticket, I thought it would be a good idea.

Is there any particular reason you prefer CM to Iwappara or JoKi? Just interested to hear your thoughts.

I see I didn't realise that you could actually use your ticket at Iwappara and JK. JK is bigger than Iwappara. Neither have particularly fast lifts, as you'll see in my threads on them.

I just prefer Maiko and there's some winding kind of courses to be enjoyed there as well.

They are all good for the short blast that you will be there for I suppose.

Is it really only 15 minutes between Iwappara and JK stations? I would have guessed it would be 30 minutes. It's a 30 minute drive.

I don't know if Iwappara drive you to the station but from Iwappara to the Iwappara Ski Jo Mae station it's probably about 1km. The station at JK is right at the base there.

I got my times from Hyperdia, and it may have been 19 mins, but in any case, if I feel like going to either, there is the possibility, whereas I don't have a clue about how easy Centleisure Maiko is to access. (I won't have a car, most likely just a JR Pass).

Also, From what I've read, Yuzawa is a proper little town as opposed to just a ski resort. Is there anything to do for non-skiiers/boarders? What about Minamiuonuma and Niigata (we'll have JR Passes, so these will be free.)

Centleisure Maiko and Iwappara are almost connected at the top, though in reality access to Maiko is 'round the corner' in Minamiuonuma.

There are buses to Maiko from Echigo Yuzawa station that take about 15 minutes.

You can get an idea of where they all are in relation to one another here:

http://www.snowjapan...namiuonuma.html

Yuzawa is a town that has 15 or so resorts dotted around, the town centered around the main station area.

Minamiuonuma is a city just to the north of Yuzawa comprised of what used to be a few towns (Shiozawa, Muikamachi, Urasa). I live in the Muikamachi bit.

You can actually be in Minamiuonuma within 5 minutes drive of the main Yuzawa station so they are right next to each other.

It has ski resorts dotted around the valley, including Joetsu Kokusai, and while there is less of a 'centre' as such, Muikamachi would officially be that as that's where the city office is and it's the biggest area.

Yuzawa is more of the 'resort' and tourist town than Minamiuonuma.

Niigata is a fairly big city on the coast and about 50 minutes by shinkansen from Echigo Yuzawa.

Sciclone, as far as getting from Yuzawa to Shiga you should try a Chuo Chartered Jumbo Taxi. My self and three mates organised one from Madarao Kogen to the back end of Shiga Kogen ( Suzurikawa/Kumanoyu) . It only cost JPY15930 total (approx $48 oz each) and took just 65 minutes instead of doing the Madarao - Nagano- Shiga thing that can take 3 to 4 hours depending on connections. Benefits = Hotel door to Hotel door, no lugging your luggage, the driver loads & unloads. and more time spent on snow instead of hanging round waiting for buss's. They will work out a price for any charter

Find them here chuotaxi.co.jp

Hey Snowjunky, Looking at the chuotaxi site says that the drop off and pick up must be in Nagano pref.

If there was a taxi service running Shiga Kogen to Yuzawa, I'd definitely consider it for that price or similar for the convenience.

As for exploring around, they can do that while I hit all the different pistes with my brother.

As muika said, Yuzawa > Shiga Kogen isn't a particularly sought after "route" and there's no official bus or coach doing it.

Considering a normal taxi from Yuzawa to Tokamachi costs 7000 yen+ I would imaging that Yuzawa to Shiga Kogen would cost well over 5+ times that. Actually I have no idea, but it would not be cheap.

Hey Snowjunky, Looking at the chuotaxi site says that the drop off and pick up must be in Nagano pref.

If there was a taxi service running Shiga Kogen to Yuzawa, I'd definitely consider it for that price or similar for the convenience.

As for exploring around, they can do that while I hit all the different pistes with my brother.

It's a charter service so I expect they will go anywhere for a price even though it's not on a regular route. Worth an email enquiry anyway

Yeh, I figured as much... I think we'll just have to take the shinkansen between the two. Not ideal, but it seems to be the quickest way via public transport. Fortunately, if we have the JR Pass, it's all covered. I've figured out that if we do all these trips, it'd cost us about 52220Y, whereas the 14-day JR Pass is 45100Y..

Last time, we took the wideview Shinano from Nagano to Nagoya, because we couldn't afford the shinkansen from nagano to Tokyo then Tokyo to Kyoto. It had some amazing scenery as we went through a gorge, but as we are moving in between ski resorts this time, I'd prefer taking less time (its only 100mins from Nagano to Echigo-Yuzawa via Takasaki), vs the scenic route, as it means I get to snowboard more.

would take 153mins according to Hyperdia from Togari Nozawa Onsen to Echigo Yuzawa changing only once at Tokamachi onto the Ltd express Hakutaka. Taking the shink would take 174 mins, as you'd have to take the train to Nagano station first