For those that hit up both Hakuba and Niseko this last season....

I only went to Niseko in Japan this past season, but I went to both the year before.

One week in Hakuba, the next week in Niseko.

Bear in mind that that season was not my first in Hakuba (it was the 2nd), nor in Niseko (I think it was my 4th)...

I fully expected Hakuba to have the steeps and long runs that I loved it for, but Niseko to have the deep and light powder.

It just so happened that a big freaking storm front belted Hakuba the week we were there...not sure it stopped snowing at all the entire week we were there. I fell on an ungroomed red slope at LOW altitude and got totally buried, it was nipple deep and I was in trouble. Took me an hour to get out, and a lot of patience and keeping calm. Cortina was off the hook.

Then we headed North to meet up with our son (who was doing instructor training in Niseko for most of the season), he said that it FINALLY snowed hard while we were in Hakuba, but by the time we got there it had slowed up considerably. It was great, but not the deep, light, refreshed every day pow pow we had expereinced most other visits. That year, Hakuba won. But it is SO dependent on conditions of the day, week, season...

Both are awesome.

And I would highly recommend making plans to tick them both off, and even more. I have plans to tick a few more J-resorts off my bucket list next season. There is always something new to discover. Pick one. Go. Enjoy.

I spent a 6 days in both this last season.

Hakuba in late January and Niseko in early February.

They both delivered in terms of snow, though got to say that Niseko edges it.

Hakuba edges it in terrain and scale.

Loved both though.

From the point of view of someone chasing steep and deep in the backcountry...

- Niseko had somewhat better snow, although not as much as last year. Some sunny weather allowed us to venture into new terrain. Very crowded and the easy access stuff gets tracked out quick.

- Hakuba has BIG mountains (for Japan..); the scenery is gorgeous and it was a great feeling just being out in the mountains. The snow isn't quite as good as either Niseko or elsewhere in Nagano/Niigata (it's on the "wrong" side of the range i.e. in the rainshadow).

However, several places this season scored higher than either of those two in my book:

- Nozawa, for the easy access slackcountry and awesome snow (this year was especially epic)

- Hakkoda, if you hit it on the right day it's magical; but those days are rare so may not return next year

- Asahidake and Kurodake - just brilliant; especially Kuro with the steep lines under the ropeway, with lots of fun features and drops...

In all cases though, it's really down to:

1) Luck (i.e. weather and conditions)

2) Skill and local knowledge

Cheers

-D

I hit Niseko in that relatively dry period in March and so didn't get the best out of it.

Still had a great time though.

Hakuba I feel was more unreliable on the whole this year and seemed to take a long time to get going - esp. compared to the top start Niseko had.

But they are both fine places.

2010 did both had great snow in Hokkaido and ok snow in Hakuba

Liked hakuba as a resort better liked the snow in Hokkaido better.

seemore

seemore can you explain the 'Hakuba as a resort' bit? I mean Hakuba is a town isn't it rather than a resort? Somewhat similar to Kutchan compared to Hirafu. And there are numerous resorts throughout the Hakuba valley isn't there?

not really. Its definitely a resort feel. I'm sure the locals will say/feel its a town, but when I went there I definitely felt that it was like a resort. I haven't been to Kutchan so can't compare, but the Wadano area was much like Hirafu was but was closer to the "action" in Echoland. Kutchan is a little bit outside of Hirafu.....isn't it? Hirafu is more compact than Hakuba is (by that I mean Wadano-Echoland)

Well I've not been to Hakuba so I don't really know how it all compares. Are Wadano and Echoland easily accessible to downtown Hakuba or are they separate from the main town? Kutchan is around a 10min drive from Hirafu and definitely doesn't have a resort feel. I guess I have this idea that downtown Hakuba is sort of similar to Kutchan in that it's just a rural Japanese town that has ski resorts nearby. I could be completely wrong?

In Hakuba there's the typical not-particularly-nice anonymous station area which would be the main town, well 'village'.

5 minute drive up to Wadano which is a nice foresty area with lots of accommodation and some restaurants and near to the base of Happo.

And Echoland is about 5-10 minutes drive as well, another accommodation/bar/restaurant area.

That's what I see when I have been.

Ok that helps muika. There's often been a lot of confusion in Niseko by everyone referring to it generically as 'Niseko'. Most when talking about 'Niseko' are actually referring to Hirafu. Hirafu of course is not all there is. There are 'resorts' at the base of each of the ski areas. Hirafu is certainly not the only option for people to stay in Niseko which is important to know for those who say don't want to be completely surrounded by foreigners the whole time. People with a car can easily stay in Kutchan for instance and in less than 10mins be heading up a lift at Hanazono. I think just referring to 'Hakuba' can get confusing for those of us who haven't been there as well. If you're staying in Echoland for instance you aren't really staying in Hakuba town are you?

I know what you mean.

You'd be staying in the Echoland part of Hakuba village, I suppose. It's still part of Hakuba.

For Yuzawa, I suppose it would be similar to:

Iwappara area

Mitsumata area

Nakazato area

All are part of Yuzawa town, but 10 minutes or so drive out of the main town area.

Another thought.

Lots of people who 'stay in Yuzawa' will actually be staying right near the centre of town, as it's an onsen town mostly based around the station. The other areas are just small areas of accommodation built around the skijo that are there. Apart from the people who originally lived there of course.

I doubt many people stay right near the station in Hakuba.

Don't know if I am explaining this well!

Turn off computer time...

My good friend managed to get to both this season, 8-9 days in each lucky git.

He also timed it good too with the snow at both.

He gave them a score draw. Liked Niseko better for the snow and Hirafu experience, and Hakkers for the terrain.

We were originally thinking about going to both but decided that it would be best to spend a bit more time in one place - get to know it more and cut out the travel bit.

Ended up in Hakuba for a while and don't regret it.

Might take a trip up to Hokkaido next year.

Aussie season before that! :lol:

We were originally thinking about going to both but decided that it would be best to spend a bit more time in one place - get to know it more and cut out the travel bit.

Ended up in Hakuba for a while and don't regret it.

Might take a trip up to Hokkaido next year.

Aussie season before that! :lol:

Welcome Glob.

We have also done single trips to each before combining a trip.

As a returning visitor you have your favorite runs/hills/restaurants and it makes doing both in one trip easier.

What is your poison when it comes to Aus?

Being a QLDer are you a fly/drive kinda person or a drive for days on end one?

Yeah can't wait to pay ridiculous amounts of money to ski all that man made 'powder' hey MB? :lol:
It's not about the 'powder' in Aus for me GN, and after all these years you well know it.

I can have a ball on sheet ice.

It is about the laughs and the jaeger bombs at night ;-)

It's about being able to ride that crusty crunchy stuff and navigate the slippery cant get an edge with an ice pick area's successfully. A sense of triumph and achievement. And the sheer surprising joy when it pukes and everyone else holes up at the bar because of the bad weather and you get the best day of the year all to yourself (or maybe share it with a few other diehards.)

I get my powder fix in Niseko or Hakuba, and by surprise in Zermatt and Chamonix this year.

I got a cheap season pass for this year, so the more I go the cheaper it gets.

I might be testing my limits on a 155 on the slippery stuff, but I am up for the challenge.

If you make it to Thredbo while I am there I will even buy you a beer.

As I've said before MB there's not a chance in hell I will ever pay to ski what's on offer at Aus ski resorts ever again. You forget I skied in Aus for over 20 years before moving to Japan. I know what's on offer at Aus ski resorts and frankly it's just not appealing at all. I do have some backcountry trips planned though. Looking forward to it!

And your season pass doesn't get any cheaper the more you go. It's the same price regardless of how many times you go. You just get more value from it the more you go, assuming you consider the usual snow conditions in Aus resorts to offer any sort of value for money. ;)

The flights and driving to and from WA and the crazy accomm prices in resort plus the ridiculous prices for food and drink will most assuredly add up to a not so small fortune the more times you go though!

I'm just happy with a few hours drive and a nice, cosy tent on a mountain with hardly anyone else on it earning my turns the old fashioned way :thumbsup: