Hey you all out there..

Need to get out fr the city for some fresh air...

Leave Tokyo early am and return late pm, by train or by car, now where is the GREAT place to go?

Means easy access, good skiing (intermediate).

OK, where?

There are other threads on here somewhere about this but the easiest one is Yuzawa in Niigata and (less so) some places near Minakami in Gunma.

Shoot up to Yuzawa in around 80 mins or so on the Shink or a couple of hours by car.

Best resorts up there?

Yuzawa? ....Kagura, Naeba, Iwappara, GALA, Ishiuchi Maruyama, etc

Minakami? ....well, I thinking about it I think you're better off in Yuzawa.

thks jambo-gyoza,

yuzawa sounds a good alternative. now, reaching the stn by shinkansen which of the areas would you say is within easiest access. i would go there during the week, not weekend this time.

what do u say?

thks again!

They pretty much all are - most have buses from the station. The furthest is Naeba, then Kagura, but the rest are within 5-10 mins of the station. GALA Yuzawa even has it's own Shinkansen station so you get off the train and onto the gondola. All pretty convenient.

Go for Kagura. It is a yen3,000 taxi ride (10min) so if there are a couple of you its no cost at all. The taxis line up right outside the echigo yuzawa station and they all have ski/board racks on the roof.

Kagura links with Tashiro and Mitsumata so there is also a large area with quite a few very good runs. Even some decent under rope tree runs if you're really keen. Forget Gala - lots of very short runs and very, very crowded.

While I agree Kagura is the best bet, 2 things I do disagree with:

3000 yen taxi? Better to get the bus that goes up there, much cheaper.

GALA very very crowded? Blinky has obviously not been there in recent years on a weekday (you did say you wanted to go on a weekday right?). It is far from crowded, quite the opposive - like everywhere really ;\)

Before, you waste money on a cab, I strongly suggest to call the place to find if all lifts are operating. For two Saturdays in a row, they did not operate the top quad chair, which forced to us go some other place. When top of Kagura is closed by high wind, typically, Tashio and Naeba are iffy, too. I have all the resorts phone numbers in my keitai so I can get the info. on my way.

hi guys,

thks for all very interesting input, going to echigo-yuzawa would now be an easy task with all those recommendations on hand.

now, however, my business plan which I'm combining with a day of skiing is changed and takes me to the Nagano area, hence I need to redirect my plans, so it needs to something within easy access from any shinkansen stn, need to minimize transportation time, spend more time on the slopes. I've done Hakuda, have anyone of you been to like Karuizawa?

or elsewhere in taht area?

perhaps head to the Myoko Kogen area. Shin to naggers then change to local line (easy change), about 30mins up the track, then grab a quick taxi - depending on which resort you go to this would be a 5 - 15 minute ride. All up about the same travel time from naggers to H47, except you dont have to wait for the 8.20 bus to hakuba (the shink gets in at 8am - at least the earliest shink that i am able to get out of tokyo arrives at 8am).

Or stay on that same local train for another 10 minutes and go to Arai. Same deal then, a quick taxi ride.

Klingon,

That is tough, can you get some Japanese speaking friend to do that for you? You call your friend in town have him/her call the place and he/she calls you back! Too bad we all don't speak Klingon.

Kagura does have recorded meassages, but they don't tell you sh%t. It is the best to talk to a real person. When I see a wind sock flattering on on bridges on Kanetsu, it is time to call.

Tried the slopes at Karuizawa. OK for a few hrs of skiing and particularly as it was the first time for the season. Good snow, well prepared slopes and most importantly NO crowds!!, secondly lucky getting a day w/clear blue sky!!

tkhs db, I'll probably follow your advise to do Myoko Kogen next time when in that area. Saw it on distance while driving/passing by, looked great!

Was also told by some local semi pros Manza is a well-worth choice.

Manza is small and not too great if you ask me.

Myoko is good, but not nearly as easy to get to as Yuzawa and to a less extent Gunma.

And if you are talking about weekdays, crowds will not be a problem anywhere - almost guaranteed.