Karuizawa, Onioshidashi, Shirane, Kusatsu (Nagano/Gunma) - Golden Week 2012

Part two of our Golden Week travels and we decided to have a big long day out in Nagano and Gunma. It turned out to be a bit of a mammoth day with lots of driving (330+km), but the weather was so lovely and everywhere was looking so gorgeous and so colourful in the sun that we wanted to make the most of it and get as much in as possible. There were some really perfect white fluffy clouds in the blue skies - a big contrast to the rather miserable start to the day back home.

So we started out from Minamiuonuma and got the expressway down to Karuizawa.

First stop was the lovely Kumano shrine (熊野神社) up behind old Karuizawa (Usui Toge).

It's only small but lovely up there and a perfect opportunity for more photos of stone thingies and shrine stuff.

gunma-10.jpg

gunma-34.jpg

gunma-11.jpg

gunma-35.jpg

gunma-9.jpg

gunma-2.jpg

gunma-3.jpg

gunma-4.jpg

gunma-5.jpg

gunma-6.jpg

gunma-7.jpg

gunma-8.jpg

After checking out a lovely waterfall and failing comically to get any half decent shots of it, on to Onioshidashi Park at the foot of Mt Asama. It's about 20 minutes out of Karuizawa and I think it is officially in Tsumagoi town.

I have been here before but it rocks, quite literally - it's made up of 'a stream of solidified lava formed by a eruption' way back.

It makes for impressive scenery and feels very other-worldly. Highly recommended.

gunma-13.jpg

gunma-21.jpg

gunma-12.jpg

gunma-14.jpg

gunma-15.jpg

gunma-16.jpg

gunma-17.jpg

gunma-18.jpg

gunma-19.jpg

gunma-20.jpg

gunma-22.jpg

gunma-23.jpg

gunma-24.jpg

gunma-25.jpg

gunma-26.jpg

gunma-27.jpg

Lots of (well, 4) toll roads on the route from Karuizawa to Shirane.

I think it was 300 yen, 360 yen, 360 yen and 1020 yen for the final bit up to Shirane.

Kind of curious how they come up with these toll charges and why the road going to and from Onioshidashi is counted as two.

:confused:

• Like 1

Then it was up on the Romantic Road, through Manza Onsen and then to the Shirane-san crater.

Mount Kusatsu-Shirane (草津白根山) is a 2160 meter active volcano in Kusatsu, Gunma. It is called Kusatsu Shirane to differentiate it from the Mount Nikkō-Shirane on the other side of Gunma Prefecture. The summit of Kusatsu-Shirane volcano, located immediately north of Asama volcano, consists of a series of overlapping pyroclastic cones and three crater lakes. The largest of these is Yu-gama, an acidic turquoise-colored lake with rafts of yellow sulfur floating on its surface.

A sight to see, for sure and the weather was fully co-operating.

gunma-32.jpg

gunma-29.jpg

gunma-30.jpg

gunma-31.jpg

Next up, Kusatsu. Was getting a bit tired by now, but I think another reason I enjoyed it more last time in winter was because of all the steam coming up which was absent yesterday. So perhaps winter is best for the full atmoshpere here

gunma-1.jpg

Back home at 10pm, very tired!

• Like 1

Cool pics again muika.

Those pics of the crater.... I presume the wide one was taken with the 14-24mm lens?

Which lens did you use for the closer images - I notice in the camera thread you said that there was no cropping going on, so just wondering as that's a fair old distance there.

Yes none of these have been cut at all.

The wide was 14-24mm and the zoomed in ones with the 70-200mm.

It's not mind, my friend just let me have it for a week or two.

:)

F.A.B.

Is that an amusement park there in the background I see?

I believe it is Karuizawa Omocha-Tengoku, like a small kids theme park.

Not related to Onioshidashi but a good background contrast I thought.

Great shots once again.

The far shot of the crater lake is my favourite. Blue sky and white fluffy clouds is a rare combo in Japan, and they give the photo a great sense of scale.

Thanks. Definitely, yes, I was quite surprised.. wasn't going really expecting the weather to be that good but was very happily surprised with the lovely sky, white clouds and relative lack of haze.

Clouds like that in a lovely blue sky are just perfect, and often better than it just being blue sky with no clouds.

Wonderful.

I presume you drove past the "smelly bit" near the Gondola at Kusatsu skijo. I love the sign there that says you must not stop your car under any circumstances. Death may result! :lol:

Yes none of these have been cut at all.

The wide was 14-24mm and the zoomed in ones with the 70-200mm.

It's not mind, my friend just let me have it for a week or two.

:)

Cool. With the megasuperpixels at your disposal you can wimp out and cut right down or be creative with that, but them all 'as is' shows your skills at framing a shot right there in the camera. A good eye indeed, which we knew before of course.

70-200mm images seem really nice and sharp.

Then it was up on the Romantic Road, through Manza Onsen and then to the Shirane-san crater.

Mount Kusatsu-Shirane (草津白根山) is a 2160 meter active volcano in Kusatsu, Gunma. It is called Kusatsu Shirane to differentiate it from the Mount Nikkō-Shirane on the other side of Gunma Prefecture. The summit of Kusatsu-Shirane volcano, located immediately north of Asama volcano, consists of a series of overlapping pyroclastic cones and three crater lakes. The largest of these is Yu-gama, an acidic turquoise-colored lake with rafts of yellow sulfur floating on its surface.

A sight to see, for sure and the weather was fully co-operating.

gunma-32.jpg

gunma-29.jpg

gunma-30.jpg

gunma-31.jpg

Next up, Kusatsu. Was getting a bit tired by now, but I think another reason I enjoyed it more last time in winter was because of all the steam coming up which was absent yesterday. So perhaps winter is best for the full atmoshpere here

gunma-1.jpg

Back home at 10pm, very tired!

What a difference two months makes! The last pic of Kusatsu looks quite different without all the snow and steam rising up! Nice to see the difference in contrast between the two seasons.