• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks familiar but cant place a name to it. Will put on my thinking cap

Tsugaike Kogen

That it is. Named after (and co-developed by the owners of) Hunter Mountain ski area in New York, USA.   Over to you, Muikabochi.

To stop the ping ponging between me and MO I haven't put any anwers in for this one. However if no one has got it by tomorrow morning I'll answer it.

And the prize goes to Winter Vacation: Biwako Valley, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture.

Hints:

sml_gallery_10844_186_10664.jpg

--The surface of Lake Biwa was once plied by Oda Nobunaga’s medieval floating fortress, and in the previous millennium, by Emperor Tenji’s long boat.

sml_gallery_10844_186_8097.jpg

--The statue is of Yang Guifei, consort to Tang Emperor Xuanzong and one of the 4 great beauties of ancient China, known in Japan as Yokihi (楊貴妃), and believed by some to have escaped execution by fleeing to Japan – there is even a grave purported to be hers at a temple in Yamaguchi prefecture.

But she is not the hint.

The hint is what she holds in her hands: the lute-like instrument known in Chinese as a pipa, and in Japanese as a biwa (琵琶) – same characters as in the name of the lake (琵琶湖).

sml_gallery_10844_186_6681.jpg

--The skies above the surface of Lake Biwa are filled with human-powered flying machines every year during the annual Japan International Birdman Rally; Leonardo would surely have been thrilled.

sml_gallery_10844_186_9876.jpg

--The depths below the surface of the lake are home to the Biwa Trout (ビワマス).

Negative hints (crossed out with big, red batsu marks):

sml_gallery_10844_186_33073.jpg

--The name of the lake and ski area has nothing whatsoever to do with the biwa (枇杷) fruit tree.

sml_gallery_10844_186_15939.jpg

--The official name of the resort is written びわ湖バレイ, not B輪子バレエ.

sml_gallery_10844_186_36312.jpg

--The name of the resort is rendered in English as Biwako Valley, not Bee Whack-O! Vallée.

Back to a positive hint:

sml_gallery_10844_186_3690.jpg

--Emperor Tenji, author of the first poem in the Hyakunin Isshu collection, moved the capital of Japan to what is now Otsu City in 667 AD -- where it remained only until his death in 672.

Take it away, Winter Vacation!

(Phew!)

• Like 1