• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks familiar but cant place a name to it. Will put on my thinking cap

Tsugaike Kogen

That it is. Named after (and co-developed by the owners of) Hunter Mountain ski area in New York, USA.   Over to you, Muikabochi.

I remembered the the pic from research on an earlier search in this thread. It's the spectacular type of pic that sticks in my memory banks as a place I would maybe like to go one day

That was certainly easier than the previous one GG so i will return the compliment

Where is this

gallery_10039_186_196381.jpg

Extra kudos for guessing who the handsome virile young man being photographed is.

Well done LiquidX, correct on two out of three counts

Shiga Kogen - Yes

Terakoya - Yes - you have obviously been there

SnowJunky - no................... well, yes I AM the one in black and green, but the handsome virile young man is the one in the red jacket :friend:

Whoa! Whoa! - Back up the bus 'Father metabolic syndrome" (MO)

Please explain for us mere mortals - what is the name of the skijo?

Sorry. Nanao Korosa, in the town of Nanao (surprisingly enough) on the Noto Peninsula in Ishikawa prefecture.

What does "Korosa" mean?

It is written in katakana in the name of the ski area now, but there were apparently originally two different ways of writing it in kanji:

1) 木呂佐, from "logs" (木呂, or 丸太), and 佐, apparently originally 沢 (marsh, mountain stream, valley, dale) (so a good place to gather logs?); and

2) 狐 (fox) 狼 (wolf) 猿 (monkey), apparently because those three animals used to be found in that area.

The third character in Korosa could thus either be 佐 or 猿, and googling "佐 猿 スキー場" would give as the first result a link to the Wikipedia page on that ski area, which also includes a discussion of the etymology.

This deserves it's own thread :D

Be a short thread, as I don't know much more about the place than that.

Or, perhaps a general ski areas history and trivia thread?

It's Houdaigi

I recognise it from the movie 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' ;)

:lol:

he,he, I am hoping you are not going to ask me to explain the connection MO :rolleyes:

It's Houdaigi

I recognise it from the movie 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' ;)

:lol:

he,he, I am hoping you are not going to ask me to explain the connection MO :rolleyes:

No, no, I can see it myself:

journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth-2-20090313061200438.jpg

med_gallery_4520_186_72704.jpg

• Like 1
I remembered the the pic from research on an earlier search in this thread. It's the spectacular type of pic that sticks in my memory banks as a place I would maybe like to go one day

That was certainly easier than the previous one GG so i will return the compliment

Where is this

gallery_10039_186_196381.jpg

Extra kudos for guessing who the handsome virile young man being photographed is.

That looks beautiful!

I am grumpy I won't be accompanying the cub when he visits next year!

Just reading through this thread is an education.

ha ha yes, that's my mate Dave on a clip I shot at Madarao earlier this year with my helmet cam.

Would you believe we have lived in the same street for 9 years about 100 metres from each other and only last year discovered we were both addicted to the white stuff. Ergo I went with him to his favourite mountain last year (Treble Cone in NZ) and I took him this year to his now newest fave place, Japow. Our wives don't ski, but at least they have each other to talk to when we are away. :D