• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks familiar but cant place a name to it. Will put on my thinking cap

Tsugaike Kogen

That it is. Named after (and co-developed by the owners of) Hunter Mountain ski area in New York, USA.   Over to you, Muikabochi.

oops sorry man in japan - I did not see your post above

I think you may have it. We will await confirmation from TB

On the assumption that that was right, and because I am about to turn into a pumpkin for the rest of the day, I will post the next one.

(If I was wrong, consider this a long-leadtime hint on my next one!)

gallery_10844_186_50142.jpg

Note: This one may be a bit tricky.

Hint: It is not in the SJ database.

In fact, it is not even in business anymore -- another defunct ski area.

This screen shot was taken from SJ Maps; I left all the scale markings on to be helpful.

That's cheating! But yep. My other pic was too small and wasn't working, probably due to photobucket being pants.

What, you mean the cheese wasn't meant to be a clue? :)

Actually, I first guessed Ishiuchi Maruyama, due to the general course layout.

Then remembered the two-cheese two-shot with that ugly statue at Iwatake, and guessed there.

Then had a look at the Iwatake course map and realized it could not be that.

So then I looked up the cheese at resorts thread and slogged through it until I found the vital clue.

So you see, I put in a good 3-4 minutes of honest, hard work into this.

No cheating as far as I'm concerned.

白河高原スキー場

Fukushima

?

You got it! Shirakawa Kogen Ski Area, in Nishigo, Fukushima, right on the border with Tochigi.

tel-tochigi-3.JPG

Formerly known as Akazura-yama ski area (赤面山スキー場):

gallery_10844_186_32837.jpg

(See gallery for original source credit to this photo.)

Akazurayama Ski Area, which opened in 1972, was reportedly designed by Yuichiro Miura (三浦雄一郎), the famous extreme skiing pioneer and alpinist, known for being the first person to ski Mt. Fuji and Mt. Everest, and who later became for a while the oldest person ever to climb Mt. Everest.

Akazurayama Ski Area apparently had some fans of its moguls, and spectacular views from the top, but was plagued with high winds which tended to blow off any fresh snow, leaving a thin, icy base.

It was also located on a toll road, the Nasu-Kashi Toll Road. Mt. JEANS to the south of it was also on that road, but Mt. JEANS also provided access via a non-toll road, so that probably stole some customers away. (That toll road is now free.)

Akazurayama, which changed its name to Shirakawa Kogen Ski Area in the '90s, kept up with good facilities, including a high-speed covered quad and "Rainbow Nighter" lights, a modernized base station, and plenty of snow-making equipment. But, Shirakawa Kogen Ski Area went out of business around 2000.

People hike through there to get to the top of Mt. Akazura, and according to their blog reports, the buildings and lifts are all still there. The pair-lift chairs are reportedly even still hanging from their cables. The town of Nishigo has considered redeveloping the slope as a flower park to spur tourism, but no concrete action has apparently taken place yet.

Anyway, that was fast, Muika! I guess you're onto my tricks by now. Will vow to try harder next time.

Over to you!

"The pair-lift chairs are reportedly even still hanging from their cables"

You should sneak back up there MO and start them up in reverse - great sport :)