• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks familiar but cant place a name to it. Will put on my thinking cap

Tsugaike Kogen

That it is. Named after (and co-developed by the owners of) Hunter Mountain ski area in New York, USA.   Over to you, Muikabochi.

Assuming it's right - how did you get that?!

I have my sources - which are confidential.

Except for this one images1.jpg

dc05_awesomesauce_hot_sauce.jpg

I share this with anyone within breathing distance :friend:

What took you so long :friend:

Absolutely correct Metabo.

The Okurayama hill was originally built in 1931 using a private budget of 50,000 yen, with the personal assistance of Yasuhito (Crown Prince Chichibu, the then Emperor's younger brother). It was a smaller facility, a 60 meter class jump about the same as the current medium hill. The stadium was then donated to the City of Sapporo as part of an on-going government sponsored program to encourage participation in sports and the development of athletes capable of competing internationally. A few months after opening it was named Okura by the Mayor (also the Chairman of the Sapporo Ski Association)

It was completely redeveloped at a cost of 770,000,000 yen for the 1972 Sapporo Olympics, the first time the games were held outside Europe or the USA. The new facility was named Okurayama, and became one of what was then only a handful of 90 meter class jumping hills in the world with a 110 meter K point and room for 50,000 spectators.

Here's a pic from the top

okurayama5_600.jpg

Well done - Over to you for a pic

Hmm... looks like there's an aerial tram or otherwise long lift to take you way up to a small ski area near the top of the mountain. Probably because there's no snow except at the top. So somewhere down south. Maybe Shikoku or Kyushu. And there aren't that many ski resorts this far down....