Temples, sakura and gardens (Niigata) - Golden Week 2012

This is a lovely private garden that you can visit in the Niitsu area of Niigata city, called Nakano-tei.

Some of the colours there were almost autumn like.

It will be spectacular in autumn I would think.

About 25 minutes from central Niigata city.

niigata-apr-12-23.jpg

niigata-apr-12-24.jpg

niigata-apr-12-25.jpg

niigata-apr-12-26.jpg

niigata-apr-12-27.jpg

niigata-apr-12-28.jpg

niigata-apr-12-29.jpg

Stunning. It is lovely at Kokujoji, I like it there too.

You're right some of those colours in the garden look autumn!

Keen to know the name so next time I'm up there...

:thumbsup:

I was about to say the same, they pop like crazy on the iPad 3 screen.

Still look good on my computer display, of course, but now I have noticed how poor that is!!

More lovely photos. Nice garden too. I'll have to look up what that orange maple is. It looks gorgeous with the sun behind it. We've put some maples in, but I'm sure we could find room for another.

Very nice. Not that far from me either really both places, I'm probs in the middle of them both.

Worth saying as well that Kokujoji is a 10-15 minute drive from the famous and also very pretty Yahiko temple area.

Thank you.... What is shidare zakura, MO?

Yes, sanjo, Yahiko is very nice too. I prefer the more closed and varied setting of Kokujoji myself but they are both definitely worth a visit.

I'll butt in and say "shidare zakura" is the tree in the seventh photo. Its the one with lots of drooping branches like a weeping willow or a bit like a fountain. You can get shidare ume trees too.

We've got a tree called a yama-zakura. The main difference between a sakura tree and a yama-zakura is that the latter will leaf out at the same time as the blooms. Since they are not as showy, they tend to get used in more naturalistic gardens. Ours had most of its leaves eaten last year, so I'm going to have hit it with something. I heard that a lot of the sakura trees in parks are sprayed.

I'll butt in and say "shidare zakura" is the tree in the seventh photo. Its the one with lots of drooping branches like a weeping willow or a bit like a fountain. You can get shidare ume trees too.

We've got a tree called a yama-zakura. The main difference between a sakura tree and a yama-zakura is that the latter will leaf out at the same time as the blooms. Since they are not as showy, they tend to get used in more naturalistic gardens. Ours had most of its leaves eaten last year, so I'm going to have hit it with something. I heard that a lot of the sakura trees in parks are sprayed.

Yes, we have a shidare ume tree in our garden. Has never done very well, though. Haven't seemed to work out how to prune it correctly.

Great photos Muika! :thumbsup: Were they taken with your new toy camera?

I noticed quite a few of the shidare zakura (weeping cherry trees) down my way and think they're more beautiful than the "normal" sakura.

Ah, I see. I have never heard that phrase before, thanks.

Were they taken with your new toy camera?

:slap:

(Yes) ;)

I kept the 'camera talk' to the camera thread as that's not what this one is about.

You mean this one xxx?

niigata-apr-12-18.jpg

I didn't actually know at the time, but have just asked now. Sadly it sounds like it is a bit of a grim story - something to do with unborn children (whether by miscarriage or abortion) apparently.

Yes, sanjo, Yahiko is very nice too. I prefer the more closed and varied setting of Kokujoji myself but they are both definitely worth a visit.

They are quite different aren't they.

Like you said both worth a visit, makes for a really good day out.

I didn't actually know at the time, but have just asked now. Sadly it sounds like it is a bit of a grim story - something to do with unborn children (whether by miscarriage or abortion) apparently.

Interesting. Do tell more if you can. They are remembering the unborn or something?