Hi there

We are thinking of going to some places in Tohoku next season and one idea is to split the skiing/boarding time between Zao and Appi and Shizukuishi.

Anyone done that kind of combination before?

Sounds like a good plan?

Ta!

Jay

Three good places I think, but will depend on what kind of resort you looking for - I presume you have taken a look at them all.

You can either go the fast way direct up the expressways, Appi is just off the Tohoku Expressway up there, or go cross-country and see more of the country.

That will depend on timing etc.

:friend:

Hi there

We are thinking of going to some places in Tohoku next season and one idea is to split the skiing/boarding time between Zao and Appi and Shizukuishi.

Anyone done that kind of combination before?

Sounds like a good plan?

Ta!

Jay

Never been to Appi or Shizukuishi, but any plan that includes Zao sounds like a good one.

You planning to rent a car?

Thank you. That map thing is very helpful.

Yes we plan to have a car, it seemed to be a much better option just for getting around generally, and like the idea of driving around Japan

Yes, Tazawako is just the other (west slope) side of Shizukuishi. If you're sticking to piste, I'd say Shizukuishi is a lot more interesting than Appi. Zao is a completely different experience.

I have been to them all - not all at once - and they are all decent places.

Sounds like a decent idea to me esp. if you have a car and mobility.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're sticking to piste, I'd say Shizukuishi is a lot more interesting than Appi.

Yes I would agree with that.

But as they are near checking out both is good.

• 2 weeks later...

About 5 years ago I worked for 2 months at ryokan near to Tazawako.

it's a bit far for me now where I live but I really enjoyed it, definitely worth a visit if you go.

When we went snow conditions were wonderful. Very quiet as well.

No, I haven't been impressed with Appi.

Only been three times, most recently 20 years ago, and I just can't see paying those prices to ski what's essentially the same bland run anywhere you go on the mountain (well, ok, that short nishi lift has a gram or two of character). Maybe if I'd hit it on a knee-deep powder day my opinion would be different, but with so many great places to ski in Hokkaido & Honshu, Appi just falls off my personal map. YMMV, of course.