Jogging / Cycling / Getting fit 2012

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll just munch on my pizza tonight I reckon and crack open some beers.

I got off to a late start this year, but I'm now up to ten miles, so I get to run around the local lake and there and back. It's all on tarmac, but there are very few cars, and the scenery is great.

Anything but anal

Alas its just teh weekends. I have a 6km commute to school each way and trying to keep that above 25kmh to get the blood pumping but its not really that much. The real problem has been the speech contest though. its kept me at work until 6 for the last couple of weeks and theres really no way im cycling at night if i can avoid it (and im certainly not getting up any earlier than i have to in the morning).

There is a route im really keen on hitting up though. It adds about 10km to the commute back home and also throws in about 300m climb. Speech contest is over tomorrow so weather permitting ill start riding to work with my cycle gears and see if i can start hitting that up every day. I really need to do something... even with cycling on the weekends and the commute, the lack of genuine exercise is really starting to turn me fat again. :)

Back up to 20km average now.

I hate it when cars come up behind you and for some reason slow right down as if they are 'stalking' you as you ride.... even when there's a totally clear road so they can pass by. Really bugs me.

Put spoiler and /spoiler in the square brackets before and after what you want to spoiler

Thanks xxx - will try it here [/hope this works]

Edit this to see the code, snowjunky

Thanks magic correction guy - I will try again

oh god i hate that. Ive thought long and hard on this and I think its because roads are the domain of traffic only in asia (whereas in the uk we're told by everyone that the "PAVEMENTS ARE FOR PEDESTRIANS". So we treat our bikes as vehicles beonging on the road and so ride with the traffic).

Whereas in Japan (and Korea) the only things that belong on a road has a motor, and in korea not even then (plenty of old women soaring dwn the pavements on their mopeds and using zebra crossings with them). Ergo everything without a motor fits the domain of 'pedestrian'. And the lesson pedestrians are taught is to walk against the flow of traffic so if a bike is seen as following teh same rules as a pedestrian then you should cycle against the flow of traffic.

Thus in the UK we are taught to cycle with the flow of traffic.

In japan and korea there doesnt seem to be any clear rule. Ive been told by police in Japan too both get off the pavement AND get off the road on separate instances. These arent expressways or anything, just normal roads.

The dude that told me to get off the road was wrong though. Im absolutely sure of it. But if even the police dontknow the status of bikes then its pretty fair to assume that pedestrians are just as clueless hence the people treating it like they are a pedestrian... and in truth i have been known to treat the occasional red light or one way street like i might were i on foot and jaywalking. ) So not exactly innocent here of following the rules that suit me :)